Attaching Truss to Other Truss

rochem

I worked on a large event not too long ago that had much of the truss suspended from other truss. Recently, myself and a number of others got into a fun discussion about the various techniques to use when doing something like this. I'll try to describe the scenario as best I can: there were three 60' spans of 12" box truss running SL-SR over the stage, spaced around 5-10 feet apart, which were suspended from chain hoists. Attached immediately underneath (no discernible air gap) these trusses were three 30' spans of 12" box, one on center and two about 20 feet either side off center. All three trusses started directly beneath the upstage-most truss, and the center truss ran directly downstage, while the trusses on either side angled out forming an obtuse angle. Additionally, the three horizontal trusses were trimmed so that the downstage-most truss was highest, with the trusses getting slightly lower as they progresses upstage, meaning that the three US-DS trusses also angled up as they moved downstage. See my drawing below:

Truss Layout.jpg

The only rigging points attached to the building were off of the three main SL-SR trusses. The three US-DS trusses were attached only to three points on the main trusses. If you were rigging this, how would you attach the lower truss to the higher truss? We discussed many options, but we couldn't agree on what way would be best. Each truss is loaded with anywhere from 8 to 25 moving heads, so not an enormous amount of weight. I don't plan on doing this anytime soon, I'm just interested to see what the "most correct" way would probably be.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back