Audio degree not limited to theater?

Destrox

Hey there! I've been looking at colleges and was wanting a few suggestions. I want a degree in sound that is not only theater or not only recording, but a mixture of both. I was looking at Belmont University's BS in Audio Engineering degree and really liked it, but Belmont is gonna end up being too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in Tennessee so I'd prefer somewhere in the South or at least in Central US.

I honestly have no idea. I guess that's why I want a degree that will give me a bit of recording, a bit of live, and a bit of repair.

Programs do exist that spend time in both the music business/production world and time in the theatre. I would look for a program with a musical theatre program and ask about studio time specifically.

A minor clarification but Belmont's undergraduate program is in Audio Engineering Technology, it is a Technology and not Engineering program.

I honestly have no idea. I guess that's why I want a degree that will give me a bit of recording, a bit of live, and a bit of repair.
Not being sure of exactly what you want to do now is understandable but it may not be a viable a long term plan. While the idea of being well rounded is commendable and you certainly may be able to get some education and experience in multiple areas, you may need to pick one area on which to concentrate. In four years it may not be realistic to get both the education and practical experience outside of the classroom that potential employers could want to see for each of those areas. Thus you might want to look for a program that would allow you a year or two learning some of the underlying fundamentals while deciding which path you really want to take.

Columbia College in Chicago might be a good option as they offer several undergraduate options in their Audio Arts & Acoustics program, Columbia College Chicago : Audio Arts & Acoustics. Unfortunately, I believe tuition is about the same as Belmont and housing costs are probably higher.

I will also note that 'live sound' and theatre sound may differ more than many think. There are certainly people who work and both and there is much in common, however there are also numerous differences and elements unique to each. If your goal is to work in theatre sound then you may want to make sure that your education and experience encompass theatre and not just being a band or touring engineer.

...I want a degree in sound that is not only theater or not only recording, but a mixture of both. ...
...I will also note that 'live sound' and theatre sound may differ more than many think. ...
I find there's a huge chasm between "Studio Recording Engineer" and "Theatre Sound Designer." Throw in "Live Sound Engineer" and it gets even more complex.

I know it's out of your geographical area, and you didn't even mention film sound, but have a look at the program at UCLA, if only because one of the most prominent Sound Designers, Jonathan Deans, is a visiting professor there.

One of our members, Delbert, is a professor at ETSU. Perhaps discuss with him the schools in your area.

For theater audio, again a little out of your geographical area, but you might want to consider University of Arizona. They work directly with the Arizona Theater Company who do shows in Tucson and Phoenix (and some traveling productions). Abe Jacobs often works with them (I believe he was the Keynote speaker for the Broadway Master Classes in Audio last year).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back