Avoid pipes swinging with movers

My lighting grid is pipes on a motorized winch system.

Given it's suspended by cables, any significant motion from moving lights causes some sway in the pipe. As a result, spots we want static end up not-so static when on the same pipe as movers.

Any solutions aside from keeping movers and static lights on separate pipes?

https://www.rsclightlock.com/ exactly what you need/want, but I maybe recall it being discontinued?
For every action try to have another light do an equal and opposite transaction.
Hang way more lights than you need, as many as you can safely fit, or sandbags, to make your grid sections as heavy as possible. Within proper limits of course.

Specifically being slower with acceleration/deceleration can mean less momentum transfer to the pipe. Also, watch out for harmonic movement that can build up over time (like pushing someone on a swing).

Man, this came up on a recent job. I work for a company and we install riggings and systems for new and existing construction. We see a LOT of new, dead hung rigging. and as opposed to rigging with ATR <All Thread Rod>, it is greatly preferred, by many Engineers, that we dead hang with chain. just the other day I brought up that I thought, with the prevalence of Movers, which we supply with a lot of out lighting packages, I thought something more static, like ATR would be greatly preferred by the end users. so battens didn't wiggle all over. My question was countered with, "What about flown electrics? They're not static.". I was always under the opinion that batten roll wasn't much of a problem which static fixtures unless they were yolked way out, Movers change this by introducing inertia.
Maybe I should start a poll?

My question was countered with, "What about flown electrics? They're not static.". I was always under the opinion that batten roll wasn't much of a problem which static fixtures unless they were yolked way out, Movers change this by introducing inertia.

They're not static, but they tend to have a lot more mass. If the moving mass is small relative to the total mass, then momentum transfer is less of an issue. Even if you add a couple movers to an electric full of conventional fixtures, then you're unlikely to notice anything. It's when a hanging position is all/mostly movers that you're more likely to get things swinging.

Man, this came up on a recent job. I work for a company and we install riggings and systems for new and existing construction. We see a LOT of new, dead hung rigging. and as opposed to rigging with ATR <All Thread Rod>, it is greatly preferred, by many Engineers, that we dead hang with chain. just the other day I brought up that I thought, with the prevalence of Movers, which we supply with a lot of out lighting packages, I thought something more static, like ATR would be greatly preferred by the end users. so battens didn't wiggle all over. My question was countered with, "What about flown electrics? They're not static.". I was always under the opinion that batten roll wasn't much of a problem which static fixtures unless they were yolked way out, Movers change this by introducing inertia.
Inertia is something to be overcome. We can introduce Madame Inertia to Mr Momentum and observe the results. :)

Reactions: Van
We have 3 movers on an electric, and I've never noticed inertia swing; as Malabar says above, it's about relative mass. The electric, the attached batten, *and all the other fixtures* are plenty enough mass to keep the mover from swinging it around.

Kyle said it above. Just tie off the batten.
Sure it's a problem with moving lights, but it was a problem before with sliding panels and swinging doors before.
Tie off onto the rail side of the stage so it's easy to access for removal, and tape off the lineset so you know it's not safe to fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back