Control/Dimming Axon on a EOS

Pie4Weebl

Fight Leukemia
Has anyone used an Axon/DL2 on an EOS before? Is it usable, or should I plan on bringing along an GrandMA Ultralite to run it separately. (something I might do just to break up the responsibility more)

Also another side question, has anyone ever used the video manipulation software Isadora before? How does it compare with what a "real" media server can do?

An axon/ DL should work fine on an EOS. I ran a pair of DLs off an Ion along with a bunch of conventionals and a dozen movers when i couldn't get a road hog like i was planing (had to chose between a console or a couple of scrollers). The only thing that i found to be annoying was spending so much time pressing the encoder buttons to find the parameters i wanted.

And you think that the MA is the best choice here?

Look, I know this is going to come across as biased, but I don't think that's what's best for your customer. If they are used to an Express, an EOS is going to be significantly more familar to them than an MA is. Don't get me wrong, I like the MA desks. I think that they are great and have a lot of capability, but they are not the solution for every problem - just like the EOS/ION isn't the solution to every problem.

It frustrates me to no end to see people shoving consoles into places where they don't belong. An MA ultralite in a community theatre, for instance... That's not where an MA truly shines. Can it be done - sure it can - but it's not the best solution for the situation either.

And you think that the MA is the best choice here?

Look, I know this is going to come across as biased, but I don't think that's what's best for your customer. If they are used to an Express, an EOS is going to be significantly more familar to them than an MA is. Don't get me wrong, I like the MA desks. I think that they are great and have a lot of capability, but they are not the solution for every problem - just like the EOS/ION isn't the solution to every problem.

It frustrates me to no end to see people shoving consoles into places where they don't belong. An MA ultralite in a community theatre, for instance... That's not where an MA truly shines. Can it be done - sure it can - but it's not the best solution for the situation either.

It's my last production at school, so that changes the game a little. Bringing in the MA lets me break it up. The ME for the show runs the conventionals/MLs/whatever on the house desk (EOS) and I train a second op on how to use the MA and they are just responsible for control of Axon.

On the same token if I use the ultra-lite I can preprogram the servers off site with the actual desk which will run them, while the EOS lives in the theatre.

As far as using a desk people are comfortable, no one involved in the school has used media servers on any desk, so using an MA is an advantage because its how I know to use an Axon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back