back/wing stage monitors - powered or unpowered?

JLNorthGA

Typically when we build a set, we build it up to the proscenium wall. This makes it difficult for the stage manager and other personnel to hear what is happening onstage. We currently have six microphones feeding the hearing impaired system as well as a powered dressing room monitor speaker.

I would like to hang two monitor speakers on the backside of the proscenium wall for the convenience of cast and crew. They don't have to be too powerful - I don't want too much bounce off of the rear wall - but they do have to be audible.

I can easily put an amplifier in the pit and mount two passive speakers on the walls (in which case, I need a recommendation for a small enough amp). I can also put powered monitor speakers - as I have power sources quite convenient to the areas where I would like for the monitors to be.

I've no real preference - save that I would like for it to be reasonably good and reasonably cheap. I'll probably mount the speakers above 6', possibly at the 7-8' level to keep them out of the hands of the curious.

Personally, if the speakers are going to be a permanent install and power is convenient, I would lean towards powered speakers. Just a personal preference but I feel like it would be one less thing to trace the signal through if something breaks. I don't have any suggestions though, I've never had to buy speakers that small ;)

I have JBL control 28's set up in our shop as monitors, and they are great for the price point, we already had 2 legs of an 8ch amp running to the shop so the instal was simple but at 175W each you dont need a monster to run them so finding an amp that is small enough to fit your needs should be easy enough

My concern with powered speakers would be that once someone discovers they have a volume control they can access then they will be playing with it. So if you went that route you might want to make sure they are high enough to not be easily accessible.

If you have the capability you might also want to consider making these speakers a separate aux send, that way you could do things like routing a talkback mic to them without it being in the house.

As far as small amps, Stewart Audio - The Difference is Hear™, Extron Electronics - Power Amplifiers, Product Categories and a number of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back