The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Barco purchases High End

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by gafftapegreenia, Jun 10, 2008.

1. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Screw gun for hire
  2. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Wow...just wow....

3. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Barco just wanted to get rid of the competition (DL series fixtures). This partnership could also lead to interesting LED products.

4. Grog12

OR....the DL4 will be more than just a crappy Office Max projector in a moving head mount!!!!

5. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Now this is really interesting...Barco has also partnered with Green Hippo for media servers for their moving head projector...

6. Jby007

Jby007 Member

good for barco

7. LDTom

LDTom Member

Interesting news. Heard about it today when I was down at High End here in LA seeing the new Showpix LED moving lights.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of the merger. Hoping for a DL4 or something along those lines. Wonder if we will see more mergers because of it.

8. len

len Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will push the bottom end of pricing, putting out a sub $10k unit with less output and low features. I kind of doubt it for the time being, tho.

And how will that affect Robe, since Robe has a similar fixture that they can't legally sell in the U.S. due to patent restrictions with HES?

9. Grog12

Patents like trademarks I believe transfer to Barco with the purchase of HES...depends exactly on who/what held the patent but typically that would transfer.

10. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

11. thommyboy

thommyboy Active Member

Am I the only one that is surprised that HES was only worth $55 mil?

12. SerraAva

SerraAva Active Member

No, your not. But when you think about it, how much High End gear is out there any more, new that is. They have the ShowGun, the DLs, and the Hogs. That's pretty much it. So how much can just three high end (no pun intended) product lines be worth in an industry that will have something better and newer tomorrow that everyone wants?

13. jxgriffi

jxgriffi Active Member

Technical Director
    It's not necessarily the products Barco was after. It was also the many many many many patents that is High End intellectual property that they were after.

14. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

Now i am wondering why richard cadena said that this was a rumor in the most recient issue of PLSN. (june 2008 issue, pg6) The article is called Who's Zoomin' Who?

15. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

Wow, very interesting. I'm not sure if Barco only recently came out with their moving head projector (or if it was only prominently featured in one of the mags last month, and had been around before, I don't remember), but that's very interesting.

I have to wonder what will happen to their fixture development; is the company going to roll out more fixtures in the realm of the SHOWGUN, or phase over to LED products? Was the SHOWGUN their last "traditional" ML hurrah?

16. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

i really think highend is on top of it when it comes to moving lights. Out of all the other manufacturers that i deal with (coemar, claypaky, martin, elation) highend is the easiest to work on. Especially when it comes to replacing components.