Barn door safeties?

Hey guys!

Where do you get safeties for barn doors? Hadn't thought about it much, as most barn doors I've used had safeties with already, made of 1/16" aircraft cable tied to a point on the door and a small spring clip or similar on the other end.

I can get some 1/16" aircraft cable and sleeves and spring clips and go and make 20 myself, however for that price plus the labor involved, it's cheaper for me to buy the premanufactured standard safeties (composed of 1/8" aircraft cable and larger spring clips, standard shipped with S4s).

Is there anyplace that sells pre-assembled safeties for accessories? I'd like the smaller ones, as I've found they're more convenient and safer (you don't confuse the fixture safety with the accessory safety).

Any theatrical supply or rental shop can get them for you. Christie Lites would have them.

My regular sales rep isn't answering his phone, and I seem to remember CL gear all having standard size safeties. I'll ask him again this afternoon.

I make them but recommend buying them if not needing bulk amounts. Start up costs.. quality control, parts and labor, if not that many it is often safer to buy them from a supplier.

Technically, yes, you could make them. You have the correct tools, knowledge of their use, correct material, etc. , but doing so, don't you also accept the liability should one of your safeties fail? I'm not saying that they would be as bad or worse than some of the imported ones, but would the company want to assume any liability if they didn't have to? Personally, I use jack chain.

Technically, yes, you could make them. You have the correct tools, knowledge of their use, correct material, etc. , but doing so, don't you also accept the liability should one of your safeties fail? I'm not saying that they would be as bad or worse than some of the imported ones, but would the company want to assume any liability if they didn't have to? Personally, I use jack chain.

Why yes you do and I do in doing so. Good point.

On the other hand, at some point on most accessories that do not inclucde a safety, say a Barn Door for a 65Q, what and how do you safety cable it in all of us agreeing that it needs a safety?

Send it into someone to engineer for you, mount a load rated loop so as to moun a normal store bought safety cable to, or otherwise figure out how to get it done? Don't know. As presented, I have a few million in liability covering what I would do plus, and trained in such things.

In the past, we didn't safety cable barn doors or top hats, much less looked down on safety frames as fall apart fames. This as per most in a question of how to deal with it..

Certainly you can buy double ended snap hook safety cables and drill a hole in an accessory - this as opposed to 1/2 the dia of the hole away from it's edge, that dia. of the hole from it's edge for safety, than snap the safety cable to it as a concept. It would work and be proper within concepts of engineering and liabilabilty.

How do you safety cable your say top hat for a 6" Fresnel if at all? To what extent would you go to make it safe within reason verses a officially proper way of maiking all you have safe some day given budget to make them so -- this as opposed to just funding the theater?

Tie line melts but seen it done. Tie wire for a safety?

Just thinking and wondering here but, wouldn't you also be liable if the accessory were to fall out and injure someone or their equipment?

Yes you would. A question of if known potential problem against doing something about it with legallity of attempt to do it properly on your own if fails verses doing it properly and affording a professional solution - someone else's liability should it fail.

Good question of if possible to do this properly or safely on your own for a start. Very much gets into a banned out of liability for the website concept out of liability. My above specification of a hole no less than half it's diamater from the edge of the surface in drilling a hole is also suspect in this way. While this is a concept I memorized from texts on structural steel engineerin in noting that 1/2dia away from the edge - this also didn't account for the shock loading factor in needing more space say as reasonable, the dia. of the hole in the steel away from the edge. For a 5/16" hole, it should be 5/16" away at least from the edge of the steel as a for instance in better refining this safety cable at least hole on the accessory concept.

The hole or structural point on an accessory as per acceptable norm - thing falling say 24" at most with shock loading in falling, won't have enough speed to rip out of the hole made for it in say 16ga. steel. Safe enough in concept.

Assuming the liability of the safty cable than and what fittings are used for it. Assuming only oval sleeve Nicopress sleeves of a proper size for the wire rope - could be 1/16" (95# SWL) given weight of accessory, than it falls on the shap hook. Snap hook types in the U.S. are not rated for shock loading and hopefully with time we will convert to the Euro type snap hooks with screw gate or better that are load rated. Still though for a light accessory as snap hooked to shackle or load rated welded ring, if not extra hole on the yoke of the fixture, a 3/16" to 1/4" snap hook should be sufficient as a hook type in that link to the fixture.

Assumig the wire rope, snap hook and mounting of safety cable hole to the accessory - or hard point such as wire mounting the leafs of the shutter is sufficient to mount to, it's now just a question of wire rope fittings in holding it all together. This assuming the accessory safety cable length isn't too long in too much distance for gravity to play a factor in shock loading. Even if say 36" for safety cable to the accessory in linking the safety cable to the mounting bar, gravity won't much play a role in shock loading.

Assuming the only question now is the wire rope crimps - not wire rope maillable or drop forged clable clamps but oval sleeve Nicopress Crimps - I recommend the copper types, it's a question of the proper crimp of them. Easy enough to train for the use of such fittings and all tools come with go/no-go gauges. Nicopress liability also says that every year the tool needs to come in for re-calibration - this after the go/no-go gauge. Trained people in proper use of the crimp tool and that inspect the crimped fittings with the gauge, plus can attest to certification of the tool if in doubt beyond gauging and training with it's use should have no worries. I would be more in doubt about the snap hook as commonly used on safety cables given the above.

Other options for a snap hook. None the less in doing something for accessory safety, trined for use of the tool and proper things done in making it proper... it won't be failing. If it does, this in what actually caused it to fail will be the least of your problems in overall failure.

Possibly cheaper or easier to buy double ended hook safety cable from a supplier. This if not pay someone else's liabilty to drill the holes or mount the safety cables. If the above isn't easy and clear sufficinet, someone else should be mounting your safety cables for you. But overall, safety cable is easy enough for accessoies and I even do them for my Inkies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back