Basic inexpensive DMX Visualizer/Interface

BadRad

I'm looking for a simple PC DMX visualization solution so I can quickly get several dozen basic scenes together from my current console. It looks like there are several nice free apps available that will do what I need (Magic 3D Easy View, Capture, etc) and have the fixture profiles. Wondering if there are any inexpensive DMX/USB interfaces with DMX In that I can use for this.

It looks like the Enttec Open DMX Usb is output only. Seems like the cheapest solution other than that with an input is a $160-170 Enttec DMXUSB PRO. Is there anything cheaper?

For what I'm looking for, I don't need perfect real-time performance - and don't even really need a full 3D visualizer. Just looking for an inexpensive solution that allows me to see basic color schemes/dimming attached to specific DMX channels.

Chamsys MagicQ now has a visualizer. You may be able to use Artnet to get it to work, but I am not sure. It might be solely for local magicq. As for the adapter. DMXKing has an UltraDMX Micro. It's on ebay, you can get it for around $60. Completely compatible with anything that works with Enttec USB DMX Pro. It works flawlessly for me.
Thanks, though the UltraDMX Micro appears to be DMX out. I'm looking specifically for an interface that can read data from an incoming console and display the results in a visualizer.

Can this be done with this interface?

Taking a quick look at magic 3D EZ View I find that it wants to listen to Artnet ( or some other protocal). If your console will output Artnet, just connect it. ( you don't say what console you have ). The cheapest solution would be to get a PC based program that outputs Artnet and has some kind of demo mode you can use for free. Our product (Plexus ) is one of these. Put the visualizer on one computer, Plexus on another. Connect with a null modem, configure appropriately and away you go.

If you want to use your existing console you will need a hardware device to convert native DMX to a protocal understood by the visualizer. I notice that Magic EZ View is sold by Sunlite, and they will sell a box to do the conversion. That is probably the best way to go.

There are third party boxes to convert DMX to Artnet, but they are not common or very cheap.

Ie you need to decide which is more important to you. Cost or using your existing console. ( assuming you have an extra computer you can use for the console)

It is output only. Sorry I missed that in your first post.
Actually, it states that the interface can work as input. Trying to get clarification from DMXKing. Has anyone else used this product for DMX input?

If this would work, I'd think this could work with something like Capture for visualiztion.

Actually, it states that the interface can work as input. Trying to get clarification from DMXKing. Has anyone else used this product for DMX input?

If this would work, I'd think this could work with something like Capture for visualiztion.

Well. Since Capture supports the Enttec USB Pro, and the DMX King supports the same interfaces, it would probably work. ( although I have not tried it yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back