Design Battle of the Bands

Studio

My high school has a battle of the bands every year, and this year I am running lights. I have used the space before and know what I am doing as far as patching. We have a Strand 300 Series if it makes a difference. I have attached a picture of the room layout. Basically we have Strand ellipsoidals on our FOH catwalk of varying lens types, and then we have 7 fresnels on our 1st electric, and 7 fresnels on our 2nd electric, then our 3rd Electric has CYC lights.

We also discovered blacklights (workshop style florescent fixtures) in the depths of the catwalks of our old theater. I think there are about 4, and they will go on a different batten or FOH. They are Edison so they will be on off with a power-strip back stage.

I am looking for Ideas to make the lighting "cool", we have gels in most standard colors (red, blue, green, orange, purple, etc)

I'm not asking for a light plot, but just some ideas.

Is there anything that links all the bands such as style of music or setup of instruments?

Its mostly rock and alternative the band members are usually in front on top of the pit (the part that sticks out into the house), and the drummer is usually under the 2nd electric. Think rock concert.

Last edited:
I think go for some blues, purples, reds and yellows. It allows you to mix quite a lot.
Scrollers would be good if you had access to them. I love a cyc with a red at bottom/yellow at top gradient and then some reds and yellows on stage.
And then a blue cyc with blues and purples on stage.
Some narrow focussed beams and haze would look ace.

:)

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back