Behringer Shark DSP 110 question .

whaleboat

I manage a 1,000 seat auditorium and yesterday the signal processor on the sound system committed suicide . I don't really want to replace it with the same model and am considering Behringer Shark DSP 110s . I have subwoofers above the procenium , overhead foldback monitors behind the main curtains , and three rows of speakers in the house . The Shark DSP's seem like they'll solve my problem with time alignment , but i'm not sure how to hook them up . Right now I'm mainly concerned with time delay on the three rows of speakers in the house , would I run my output from the mixer into a Shark unit , and the output off the first Shark unit into the first amp then daisy chain the amps placing a Shark between each one ? Also , I read the shark's user manual and it appears the Shark was primarily designed to be placed between a mic and the mixer . Would the other features of the Shark still work , such as the feedback suppressor , placed between the mixer and an amp ? Thanks for any help y'all might be able to give me .

What brand and model is the processor that has died?

Laying aside the general reservations about recommending Behringer, I am not sure this will be the right product for your application.

Do you run your system in stereo or mono or multichannel (LCR etc)?

More information is needed before useful advice can be given...

It's a Shure P4800 , which was a great DSP , it'll do anything but cook you breakfast in the morning . It cycles on then settles on the first four outputs as clipped and it won't let me access with laptop . I run the sound system with the left channel in the house and the right for the stage monitors . Right now I have a couple of 31 band equalizers in between the mixer and the amps , one for left one for right . The reason I'm not real hot on repairing the P4800 is that I think the quality of the sound is a little better without it and I'm getting more gain before feedback without it .

The reason I'm not real hot on repairing the P4800 is that I think the quality of the sound is a little better without it and I'm getting more gain before feedback without it .
At least the latter, and perhaps both factors, indicates improper setup and/or programming. With parametric EQ and DFR feedback reduction available to be assigned to any input or output there is no reason you should have less gain before feedback with the 4800 than without it.

Get yourself the right tool for the application. You are correct that the Shark really seems intended more as an input processor and would be very awkward. With subwoofers, monitors and delayed fills you would almost certainly be better served by a matrix DSP, one that can handle all the routing, crossover for the subs and mains, delay for each output, etc. There are many new DSP options since the P4800 first came out, the Biamp Nexia, Ashly Protea and Symetrix SymNet products jump to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back