Best material for rear projection

jack63ss

So I am investigating the possibility for using rear projection as part of our scenery in our chorus productions. I read a number of posts on CB, and I have used scrim to do backlighting before, but I have not used it for projection. I already have a short-throw BENQ projector that I can use, 1024x768 4: 3 300W, so my question is what material, Sharkstooth, Leno-filled or something else ? My concern here is given the venue and this being a chorus, we tend to run a fair amount of front light, and I worry about washout.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks
Jack

A sharkstooth scrim will not make a good rear projection material.
What size image are you looking to project? The projector you have works fine for smaller images. For instance, what might be seen through a window. However, if you are trying to replace a scenic drop, it likely won't be bright enough, especially when competing with stage lights.
The choices you have to maximize the light getting to the audience generally means that it will have a narrow field of view and subject to "hot spots" where one area is greatly brighter than the rest. To have an image that is even, the light will be more evenly distributed, which means the apparent brightness to the audience will be greatly diminished.
So, yes, a leno-filled scrim at the minimum. If you can get a specific projection material, you will get the best results, but it will be prohibitively expensive.

When I used rear projection before it was probably about a 4' wide image, but with the chorus I would need it to be at least 10' wide. And there was much less front light then than there is with the chorus. I looked at leno-filled scrim, but most places sell it by the yard. The smallest piece I have found is almost 19' wide, it is $150+ a yard and I need at least 2 yds. Yup, prohibitively expensive. I have also seen "reasonably priced" projection screens (under $200) that claimed to be for rear projection, but were mostly polyester or something like that. Price is fine, but I have no idea how well it would work. Rose Brand has a couple of different types of projection screen material that I could afford as well, so I might contact them and see what they suggest. Good thing I am not in a hurry. Thanks for your help.
Jack

When I used rear projection before it was probably about a 4' wide image, but with the chorus I would need it to be at least 10' wide. And there was much less front light then than there is with the chorus. I looked at leno-filled scrim, but most places sell it by the yard. The smallest piece I have found is almost 19' wide, it is $150+ a yard and I need at least 2 yds. Yup, prohibitively expensive. I have also seen "reasonably priced" projection screens (under $200) that claimed to be for rear projection, but were mostly polyester or something like that. Price is fine, but I have no idea how well it would work. Rose Brand has a couple of different types of projection screen material that I could afford as well, so I might contact them and see what they suggest. Good thing I am not in a hurry. Thanks for your help.
Jack
Rose Brand can send you a small sample of those, too.

RP screen from rosebrand or Rosco is the move here. Make your own frame and then stretch the material across. For rear projection, black is the best, but you need to check your sightlines. there's pretty dramatic fall off with the black if you're outside the optimal viewing cone. Gray is the best multi-purpose imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back