Best material for small roll drop?

Amishplumber

Hi internet,
A show I'm working on is going to have some a small roll up, custom painted, drops. Think pull down classroom maps. Its a few different backdrops that will get pulled down at different times on a spring loaded blind type mechanism. We are hiring a TBD artist to paint them. I was hoping to leave the materials choice up to the artist and then put everything together afterwards, but due to scheduling constraints, it looks like things will be happening in the other order. I will have to buy the blank backdrops and build the whole contraption first, and then hand them off to the artist to paint on.

I have no idea about what material or canvas to use. What will be durable enough to be rolled repeatedly, while being flexible enough to roll? What will take paint well, but have minimal bleed through issues? What will be best for paint adhesion so the paint doesn't come off onto the other canvases in the set?

Dimensions are 5'6w x 5' h.

Any scenic painter advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You might get a quote from Rose Brand or someone else that does large format ink jet printing. The price may be surprisingly cost effective. They can also answer all your questions!
https://www.printheadstudio.com
You must have received the same email I did this morning!

Also, if RB is too expensive or you have other issues, check your local area for Large format printers usually a Sign or Billboard company <Though most of the Billboard companies have farmed out printing to China and it adds a bit of ship time and cost to the project. Lot's of companies do Vinyl banners, they can even fuse together several if you need that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back