Best Practices for Using Wildfires

Les

Well they technically haven't arrived yet, but I recently bought three used WF-401-F Wildfires that were previously used at Disney in Orlando. I paid about the same price as you would expect to pay for those DJ-grade 400w canons.

I don't expect to use them too often, but you all know how it goes when it comes to black lights in theatre. It's either very expensive, or it ends up being an afterthought, which turns in to a mediocre effect using fluorescent tubes from Home Depot. My plan is to spread the word throughout my local network of community theatres and schools that they are available for rental. Haven't set a price yet, but I'm guessing $50/unit per production (open to advice).

Now my actual question is based on how many fixtures one would expect to use in a traditional high school/community theatre proscenium space. These fixtures have a 115° beam angle, and it seems that they can be used in long throws up to around 50-60' before intensity really starts falling off the scale of usefulness. Does anyone have any anecdotal data on where the "sweet spot" is? My basic plan would be one per cove and one centered on the FOH rail (or even floor-mounted if possible).

I plan on doing my own testing, but I thought I'd get some ideas before I start. I will be buying new lamps for these; one at a time since they are expensive.

Here is a link to the PDF manual:

https://cdn.usedlighting.com/products/files/f560ab497ee354.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back