Best Route

Hi so I am currently employed as an ATD at a community college but I am looking to go for my masters. I want an engineering degree because it seems like it would be more useful to my career than an MFA. Although I am not sure whether mechanical or electrical engineering would be better. Also I am not sure if there are any really good programs in the NYC area. I want to continue to do technical direction but I want to better understand moving lights and the use automation in modern theater etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you want to be a TD, I would not get a electrical engineering degree. Really, a EE will only help you if you want to go either on the R&D side of things or into venue design. The only engineering masters degree that I think would help would be either a mechanical engineer or a structual engineer. However, both of these degrees would way overquallify you to work in a theatre. Most good MFA programs for technical direction will cover structual design, automation, and how they relate to the production process.

If your bachelors degree is in theatre, you might have some issues getting into a grad program for engineering as well.

So, what do you want to do when you get out of grad school? MFA programs will pigeon hole you into one area unlike many bachelor programs.

Well I want to continue to TD. But I have no intention of remaining an assistant for the rest of my life and I do want to make it to the larger NY scene. Also due to the fact that last year sucked as far as finding work last year I want a degree that I can use to get work even outside of the theater world if needs be. Even friends of mine with MFA's had a bunch of problems finding work. I do really enjoy the technical aspects and would like to not have to call in a seperate engineer to fix things when stuff goes wrong on a job. And I would prefer being over qualified and employed. Plus at this point my job would also at least assist with paying for tuition which is important. Thanks for the feedback.

I do really enjoy the technical aspects and would like to not have to call in a seperate engineer to fix things when stuff goes wrong on a job. And I would prefer being over qualified and employed.
Maybe we have a disconnect on the term "engineer" and what it might take to get into a graduate level Engineering program. Depending on your past course work, you may find yourself required to take quite a few Engineering and Science courses before even being accepted into any Engineering Master's program. And once you get an Engineering degree, Bachelors or Masters, you would need to work for an Engineering firm for some time before you could apply for the PE exam and get licensed to practice on your own. All of this would also only address a single relevant area of Engineering (Electrical, Structural, Mechanical, etc.), in fact a Masters program would probably need to focus on a much narrower area within one of those disciplines.

I understand the secondary goal of a 'backup' option but that is not a guarantee and unless that is really what you want and you already have some Engineering education, I'm wondering if a Graduate degree program in Technical Direction might not be a better option.

Kyle, the Engineering students that were also involved in theatre tech when I was were either Interdisciplinary Engineering majors like myself or EE students.

Well I want to continue to TD. But I have no intention of remaining an assistant for the rest of my life and I do want to make it to the larger NY scene. Also due to the fact that last year sucked as far as finding work last year I want a degree that I can use to get work even outside of the theater world if needs be. Even friends of mine with MFA's had a bunch of problems finding work. I do really enjoy the technical aspects and would like to not have to call in a seperate engineer to fix things when stuff goes wrong on a job. And I would prefer being over qualified and employed. Plus at this point my job would also at least assist with paying for tuition which is important. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you're in the NYC metro area already, so some thoughts.

I would skip any non-theater MA and target an MFA instead. Yes, all the engineering is going to be useful be it mechanical, electrical etc... but in truth, if you are making technical theater a career, it's way overkill and not specific enough to theater. And the idea of "fixing things yourself" while useful is also a waste of talent. If you are the TD for a theater, knowing how to fix the broken building elevator/HVAC pumps/etc.. is useful, but do you want to take on those kinds of responsibilities ?. Chances are your existing experience plus whatever you learn in an MFA "should" give you the expertise to handle most of the day-to-day technical theater jobs, and if you don't currently know how to do something, you can always hire someone who does. I can certainly learn to service and repair our Genie and JLG lifts, but there are companies that do that already, so it's somewhat a waste of knowledge for me (though I pay attention to what the guy does when he does the service - just in case). And I have spent a career at my facility fighting the general misconception that just because I'm the stage electrician that I'm the electrician for the entire bloody performing arts center !.

How much money 'ya got for tuition?, is Yale out of the question ?, as they have probably one of the best technical theater masters programs in the US. Is New Haven too far ?, as you mention that your job partly covers tuition I assume you want to keep working.

Other then that, assorted City University schools have MFA programs - Brooklyn comes to mind, my campus (I'm not with the Theater Dept.). All the CUNY schools are cheap compared to the private schools, thus we see a lot of folks here getting their MFA in Design and Technical Theater - note that Design is part of the degree, so you end up designing. Not sure if that's what you want. Most of these folks are simply "getting an MFA" and are not looking for as intense an education as offered by Yale, they just want the degree, have a pretty good background already, and as you and your friends have discovered, the current MFA is the BFA of 20 years ago. If in NJ, check some of the local colleges - Rutgers, Drew come to mind. No SUNY schools local - Purchase only has a BFA, according to the web page. I'm not aware of other SUNY schools that are convenient to the NYC metro area that have MFA.

Only aspect to getting an MA or MS in an engineering area when combined with your current degree and experience, is if you want to go work for a company involved in scenic automation - Showman Fabricators, Hudson, PRG Scenic, Adirondak (well - upstate NY) , in the NYC area all come to mind and probably would hire somebody with the additional engineering background. I'd recommend calling one of these companies and asking for advice.

P.S. PM me if you want more info on Brooklyn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back