Textbook for Master Electrician Class

Apmccandless

I am creating a syllabus for a class I want to teach. The overall topic is working as an electrician/master electrician. I can find several beginner stage lighting books but nothing that discusses more in depth issues all of the ones I have looked through are primarily lighting design books. I am not planning on assigning the book to the students, but I have found using a textbook as a reference for classes and listing it as optional has worked well. The reason for trying to get this class together is I continue to deal with lighting designers at the school I do freelance work at who don't know anything about theatrical electrics. These are people who have theatre degrees with emphasis on lighting but don't know how to hang, focus, run cable, troubleshoot, address LED fixtures, or really anything beyond writing cues. Some of them don't know how to patch. If the console is anything but an Eos based console the problems get worse.

Topics I am looking to cover:
-Electricity (Power flow, 3 phases loads including triplen harmonics and balance, NEC 420 Requirements, different dimming situations distributed dimming vs centralized dimming, amperage calculation for feeder
-Standard practices and workmanship (cable selection, cable estimation techniques, methods of power distribution, how to determine DMX distribution, types of connectors, how to dress cable, etc
-standard networking practices for stage ip addresses, subnet, multicast vs unicast
-how to generate a shop order and what to expect during a load-in
-how to diagnose and triage lighting gear for repair
-running a focus call and how to prepare for a crew
-how to create/modify practicals for a production
-working with LED tape including pixel tape and dmx
-ideally it would also include information on outdated gear including arc based lighting, incandescents, scrollers, strobes,
-calculating batten loads

I am sure there are several other things I do without thinking about it, hence the textbook.

Any guidence on this would be helpful.
Thanks!

Consider all the resources listed for the ETCP exam. Not that recent college grads should take the test.

The Cadena and Huntington texts above are the classics, but I'd also check out Jason Weber's new book The Lighting Supervisor's Toolkit. I haven't opened it yet myself, but Jason's a good ME and nice fellow, and his book seems to work with the others to fill in some gaps regarding collaboration and daily workflow.

The Cadena and Huntington texts above are the classics, but I'd also check out Jason Weber's new book The Lighting Supervisor's Toolkit. I haven't opened it yet myself, but Jason's a good ME and nice fellow, and his book seems to work with the others to fill in some gaps regarding collaboration and daily workflow.

Just received the Toolkit book from Amazon yesterday and started it. Looking forward to seeing what it has to offer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back