Automated Fixtures Blizzard Puck Pro Zoom and 3NX default mode

BadRad

Is there a way to set the Blizzard Puck Pro Zoom and the 3NX into a default color or mode if these fixtures lose DMX? Running them in an automated show for a band, and would like the lights to be their own backup in case DMX is lost (which has already happened once). Right now, the lights go into DJ mode doing random color and strobe changes to audio. Is there a way to change these modes to use specific colors, or simpler color fades when not on DMX, but respond properly to DMX when data is present?

Same thing with the Blizzard Fab 5's... It's awful when we are striking the stage and I disconnect from my controls... I just want them to remain solid white..
I talked with Blizzard support. They told me the 3NXs have DMX detection, and I could set up whatever colors I want to hold in the menu, and that color will come up if it loses DMX. That's good.

But they went on to say that the Puck Pro Zoom does not have DMX detection, so it should hold on whatever the last DMX command was. That's not good - though I'm also not sure that's correct. When we lost DMX during a performance the other night, all of our Blizzards went into audio/dj mode, including the Zooms. They started randomly displaying different colors and even went through some strobing settings (which we never use). My hope is that there actually is some sort of DMX detection, though whether we can override in the same way it sounds like you can on a 3NX is what I don't know.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to pull the lights out to test until our next show. Does anyone else have the Zooms that might know? If I can't get them to go to a selectable color when they lose DMX, I'll need to find another emergency backup. Would be nice if I could simply set up a usable scene with all of my lights, so that they just default to that if we have trouble with our main DMX source.

Set every unit to be a slave. If any of them is set to master they start spewing data that other units in the chain will interpret as a valid instruction negating any hold last look behaviour.

Set every unit to be a slave. If any of them is set to master they start spewing data that other units in the chain will interpret as a valid instruction negating any hold last look behaviour.
Are you talking about just the Pro Zooms, in particular?

Keep in mind that the last DMX command sent is not what I'm looking for either. We use our Zooms for front lighting for my band. If our automated system has a problem and the lights lose DMX, I want them to default to a particular color, not simply the last DMX command sent, as that could very easily be off.

It sounds like you're saying that the Zooms do indeed pick up the last DMX command, but that I could have one (or all) set to Master - correct?

I can't speak for the the Pro Zooms but my older model Blizzard Pucks will respond to whatever signal they receive, whether from another unit (or units) designated as master, or a console. Having no master means that the only source of data is the console. If the console is disconnected then the default behaviour on older model Pucks is to hold the last look forever. If there isn't an obvious way to disable standalone/auto behaviour in the manual you may want to contact the vendor and ask them how to do what you want. Maybe it involves setting the user-defined looks to be identical and what you want when DMX is lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back