Bounce Cyc

knoodler

I am thinking about using a bounce cyc for our summer season. I have about 6' of space to work with. The exposed area will be 12' high x 40' wide. My question is what kind of material will work best. I have access to a grey closed cell scrim that may or may not work as the downstage part of the system. Upstage I just plan on using straight up muslin. WIll the grey show enoght color or will it wash out. Shold I look into an actual cyc for dS with a black scrim in front?

BTW - my budgets aren't very big.

Thanks

I would start by asking what problem you are trying to solve. The reason for a bounce cyc is typically to deal with an uneven wash of light caused ( usually ) by not enough depth.

Do you have issues with an uneven cyc if you just use it lit from the front, or is this a new venue for you and you are not sure?

Depending on the fixtures you have available, and how much height you have above the borders, groundrow, etc - six feet, could work find for a direct view cyc.

Will the grey filled scrim work - depends on how much light you can get on the muslin cyc, and how much light spills on the filled scrim. If you want to get the cyc to go black, you will want a black scrim in front of it in any event.

Thanks for the response

The cyc hangs on the front cord of 20x truss - the only hanging point for fixtures is the upstage cord of the truss - thus the reasoning behing using a bounce

Its a venue I know well - been the TD/PM for 10 years and I've tried every other way to light a cyc with minimal success - I'm not the LD but I end up having to solve all of these problems before they become bugger problems - Lighting it from the front is not an option - 3/4 Thrust space to boot

I stock R40's but I will have to suppliment them with something else - dont know what yet - maybe more r40's if i can dig them up cheap

Will the grey filled scrim work - depends on how much light you can get on the muslin cyc, and how much light spills on the filled scrim. If you want to get the cyc to go black, you will want a black scrim in front of it in any event.
Will the filled scrim allow any light through - this is getting very expensive!! - even if I buy used gear -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back