Brainstorming for a permanent install...

Mark L

Hi friends! First post here! I'm the exec director of a theatre group in Washington and we are currently in the planning stages of a complete reno of a 107 year old movie theatre. We are starting our capital campaign and are cautiously looking at a project budget of $5mm - $6mm When complete, the mixed used venue will primarily serve as our company's mainstage as well as film, concerts, lectures, etc. I do have a lot of tech experience however I would not necessarily consider myself an expert on a lot of the current available tech.

I'm curious... Say you've got a blank slate and lets say $500k to spend just on lighting alone. What does your install look like? I'm assuming standard dimmer racks may be becoming a thing of the past and replaced by a fully LED rig and power/data through the building. What are we seeing these days, particularly in the power/data distribution? What would you prioritize? What steps would you take to future-proof?

I appreciate any thoughts!

The answer you are likely to get here is to take some of your budget and hire a theatre consultant. They are going to be your best way to make sure the rest of your budget gets used in the best way.

On a smaller system I prioritized on flexibility, installing a lot of Ethernet distribution, running 72 lines of Cat 5 around a 70x60 black box, in 4 systems for Lighting, Audio, Video and SM. I also opted to not do a 2nd Sensor rack, added a lot of Thru-Power modules for dedicated power and portable dimmer packs for the incandescents. Plus adding DMX nodes for data, though the future seems to be onboard WiFi DMX and transmitters for data distro. Dealing with data distribution on large'ish LED rigs was a steep learning curve, that we finally got a handle on. We were provided with a lot of nodes and that has been a life saver.

I think looking for suggestions for for general specs on the system is a great idea. Interfacing with the Theatre consultant on the project will be very important you will want to communicate with them as much as possible before they spec the system.

Washington State or DC?

Hi friends! First post here! I'm the exec director of a theatre group in Washington and we are currently in the planning stages of a complete reno of a 107 year old movie theatre. We are starting our capital campaign and are cautiously looking at a project budget of $5mm - $6mm When complete, the mixed used venue will primarily serve as our company's mainstage as well as film, concerts, lectures, etc. I do have a lot of tech experience however I would not necessarily consider myself an expert on a lot of the current available tech.

I'm curious... Say you've got a blank slate and lets say $500k to spend just on lighting alone. What does your install look like? I'm assuming standard dimmer racks may be becoming a thing of the past and replaced by a fully LED rig and power/data through the building. What are we seeing these days, particularly in the power/data distribution? What would you prioritize? What steps would you take to future-proof?

I appreciate any thoughts!
On a project of that size, it would be foolish not to hire a theatre consultant who is or whose firm is on the membership roster of ASTC. https://theatreconsultants.org

Also on a building that old a theatre consultant would be aware of and have solutions for ADA compliance among other things.

Have you had an architect or construction manager engaged to help you establish a project budget? If not, your first step is to engage both a theater consultant and architect to perform a feasibility study, and have a construction manager throw a cost estimate at it. Granted, I do not have any familiarity with your venue, but $5-6M for a complete overhaul of a 107-year old building seems very low. It's likely enough money to trigger requirements that you bring the building up to modern accessibility codes which will eat up a lot of budget in bathrooms, stairs, elevators, egress pathways, ramps, exterior pathways into the building, so forth.

Is it a Historic building as deemed by a historic committee? If yes, your project budget just evaporated. Everything is harder and takes longer in a historic renovation. I'm currently working on a project that's a small former Federal Reserve building that'll have 2 rentable event ballrooms and a coffee shop. We will easily blow past $6M bringing the project up to code. Almost all of the electrical infrastructure needs to be torn out, and there are very firm parameters from the Historic Committee which finishes and aesthetics will be allowed that align with the original architectural styles.

In reference to your question about lighting systems, it's impossible to say without knowing your space, event types, existing systems, and other priorities. In a vacuum, anything can sound like a good idea but project budgets rarely afford that luxury. That's why you really need to hone in the overall scope and an accurate budget for your renovation. I've seen projects of similar budget where almost the entire budget has to be devoted just to meeting modern accessibility and life safety codes and replacing HVAC systems, electrical infrastructure, and really hitting all of the deferred maintenance items that could fail at any moment. Then a Phase 2 gets planned a couple years down the road where they can actually afford to start working on the interior finishes and entertainment systems.

Aside from all that, the market is in a period of high cost escalation. What used to be a $12M new construction project is now $14-15M. Costs are going up across the board. Part of planning your budget is understanding your timeline for the work to begin, and the impact of recent cost escalation. If someone is doing napkin math for you estimating that this will be $5-6M based on a project a dozen years ago, you need to adjust that for inflation -- not inflation today, but inflation up until the end of your project completion. Starts to chip away at the luxury items you can afford real fast, which is why it's important to have a qualified design team up front to make sure you're on target, on budget, and addressing the major items that you need to in this project without unnecessarily triggering modernization requirements or self-inflicting Historic review pain that'll cripple your budget and timeline. (By the way, Historic reviews can add 6-12 month to a project. Some committees only meet a handful of times a year so you need to plan your schedule around theirs and cross your fingers you do not go through any additional review cycles than you absolutely have to.)

Now that most of the disclosures are out of the way...

My 4 main points would be
1. Electrical infrastructure - Now that most devices aren't using the whole 20A circuit, I'd recommend having each circuit duplicated to reduce the future use of extension cords. I'd also put one electrical connection for something like an ETC SmartBar on each batten. This will eliminate having a dimmer room for the off chance you need a conventional fixture.

2. Networking infrastructure - Since we're using networking wiring for TCP/IP sometimes but also using just the wire as a DMX connection to avoid running cables everywhere, I'd recommend clear labeling of each connection and termination into an easily accessible patch panel. For some reason I've seen tons of installations where the locked rack is installed above a doorway or somewhere else inaccessible. I understand that for life safety stuff and permanent phone & Wifi AP connections, but any wiring that is designed to be used day to day should be usable without climbing a ladder to make a connection.

3. Solid house plot - I've worked in so many places that have house plots that you can't touch but they've obviously improperly lensed a few locations, making it impossible to have a full stage wash without adding fixtures.
While of course you want the flexibility to do all the stuff - if you don't have the bare minimum, you've already set yourself up for disaster.

4. Houselights, Aisle lights - For (I assume) energy saving reasons, houselights seem to be regularly not integrated into the theatrical lighting system. This requires someone other than the board op to push a button on a different panel located in a wall or junction box. I'd reccomend having the contractor install whatever they want and use that system as worklights. Then use your own fixtures to build a seperate houselighting system that works over DMX.

4. Houselights, Aisle lights - For (I assume) energy saving reasons, houselights seem to be regularly not integrated into the theatrical lighting system. This requires someone other than the board op to push a button on a different panel located in a wall or junction box. I'd reccomend having the contractor install whatever they want and use that system as worklights. Then use your own fixtures to build a seperate houselighting system that works over DMX.
In my opinion, a houselight system should always be BOTH controllable from the console, and from wall-mounted button stations(with a way to lock out the wall stations when the console is in control). If this is not feasible, standalone control of the houselights with a control station located at the lighting console(in addition to wall stations at the entrances) is a reasonable compromise.

This can be accomplished easily with ETC Paradigm or Echo, as well as other architectural control systems that accept DMX as an input.

+1 for the accessible patch panel as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back