Breakable cups

peacefulone61

i am doing a play this summer that requires breakable coffee cups. Is there a budget friendly safe way to do this that has worked well for others.

Clay is your friend. We just finished a run of shows in which we used clay (fired, obviously) as mugs that shatter during a toast. Painted to match, no reason you couldn't make a coffee cup the same way.

Goto goodwill or the dollar store. For the cheap solution.

Reusable , first thing that came to mind is a Lego made coffee cup if it doesn't have to hold liquid.

Salvation Army, Vietnam Vets, Goodwill - any of those will yield more coffee cups for a few bucks than you could ever use. We have a store called 'Greenovations' near us that recycles all kinds of things - that's where we went last time. You might have a similar store.

The reason we buy break aways from Alfonso's Breakaways, aside from the fact that we can afford it, is that broken ceramic is just as sharp and hazardous as broken glass on stage. You wouldn't want to break actual glass on stage every night would you? It's the same thing with actual ceramic, china, etc. It just isn't the safest option. Maybe the cheapest, but not the safest. If you are going to go that route, at least realize the risk.

That said, I'm not going to sit here and pretend I've always done it that way. In college, when I had a smaller budget, we would pre-break things, safety coat the pieces with a Rosco product (I forget which) and then lightly glue them back together. It worked well for the most part but some nights the items would still chip or break in new spots. These days at work I wouldn't be allowed to even suggest that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back