Repairing damaged Shure MX153 connector (TA4f)

At my HS we currently have a wireless mic system that's composed pretty much entirely of Shure MX153 microphones, after 9 years of use, the wiring around the connectors has started to go bad. From poking around here it seems like this is a repairable condition, but I don't see any guides on *how* to actually do that. Am I able to reuse the existing connector or do I have to buy a new one as a replacement part? If these are repairable it would be amazing because it would mean I wouldn't have to have us spend hundreds on replacements in the middle of a massive budget cut.

I find the best thing to do is chop off a few inches of cable by the connector - the failure is often in the cable right at the strainrelief. Pay attention to the pinout. Notice how the internal parts go together. You will have to uncrimp the strain relief. Often there is a resistor or cap in the connector - makes for a tight connector. Be sure to use heatshrink. A tiny soldering tip is a must.

At my HS we currently have a wireless mic system that's composed pretty much entirely of Shure MX153 microphones, after 9 years of use, the wiring around the connectors has started to go bad. From poking around here it seems like this is a repairable condition, but I don't see any guides on *how* to actually do that. Am I able to reuse the existing connector or do I have to buy a new one as a replacement part? If these are repairable it would be amazing because it would mean I wouldn't have to have us spend hundreds on replacements in the middle of a massive budget cut.
Something to consider is Shure's one-price service for microphones. For a fixed fee, they will repair or replace their mics, price is tied to original MSRP, model line, and wired/wireless, etc. The fee for the MX153 is $79.00 plus applicable sales/use tax in your state. Your school may be exempt for the taxes.

You can view/download the Shure service price list here: http://image.mc.shure.com/lib/fe3615707564047e711d78/m/5/fa47e73a-b609-42f0-9a8f-8a8fbea1480d.pdf

Something to consider is Shure's one-price service for microphones. For a fixed fee, they will repair or replace their mics, price is tied to original MSRP, model line, and wired/wireless, etc. The fee for the MX153 is $79.00 plus applicable sales/use tax in your state. Your school may be exempt for the taxes.

You can view/download the Shure service price list here: http://image.mc.shure.com/lib/fe3615707564047e711d78/m/5/fa47e73a-b609-42f0-9a8f-8a8fbea1480d.pdf
That might be exactly what I need! Plus establishing that as an option leaves repair possible once I'm gone, so I'll try my best to push for that. My school is indeed exempt from sales taxes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back