Breakaway Teacup

I am directing a play where someone drops a teacup and it is supposed to shatter into pieces for a directing class in College, and I talked to my professor and she told me it can't shatter into a million pieces so I need help on how to make a teacup fall on the ground and break in half without the glass all over the theatre floor

I am directing a play where someone drops a teacup and it is supposed to shatter into pieces for a directing class in College, and I talked to my professor and she told me it can't shatter into a million pieces so I need help on how to make a teacup fall on the ground and break in half without the glass all over the theatre floor
There may be easier options but I've had luck in the past carefully breaking it on your own so it's in a few large chunks and then lightly regluing it with a few dabs on the cracks. It can still break into some smaller chunks but it's going to break off mostly along the lines it already broke. Some trial and error usually gives you an idea of how effective it will be in your scenario. Just a thought

Stage Glass AKA Candy Glass... There are many suppliers of pre made products who would be able to ship them to you, or find them locally. It will break when dropped, but not into little glass slivers.

Also, painted greenware (AKA unfired) pottery can look convincing and not hazardous to one's health, at a fraction of the cost of stage glass.

Ask your teacher if breakaway stage glass is acceptable. I don't see why not. Tell the teacher you'll bring a dust pan to clean it up. Here's a dealer with a large selection of breakaway stage glass cups. It's not cheap but it'll look great.

That's the first dealer I found with tea cups. Google "breakaway glass cup" to find other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back