Bringing outdoors - inside?

beardedbil

I have a client who is interested in doing an outdoor (night time) scene inside of a themed entertainment venue. I am responsible for lighting it most realistically. I have some ideas but wanted to throw it out to the experts who might know better than I as I come from the attractions side not the theatrical side of the industry.

The area has 25' ceilings, so I was thinking of using a star drop possibly with scrim in front of it to lessen the brightness (maybe show led?). My plan was a few source fours with break up gobos... can anyone suggest certain gobos they like to use and gel colors? I was thinking of Rosco Gobo #77774. Since I do not have a large height I was thinking maybe the new LED source fours... But I am open to any suggestions.

The idea is to have an overall outdoor night time mood for the set. I am not lighting any actors, just an outdoor scene with one building in the middle. Any advice and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Best,
Bill

... an outdoor (night time) scene inside of a themed entertainment venue. I am responsible for lighting it most realistically. ...
Set aside the exact equipment choices for the moment. Approach how one would go about lighting a play. How will you use the five functions and four controllable properties of lighting to help convey "the message"? What's the story you're trying to tell? What is (are) the apparent light source(s)? Moon/stars/strreetlights? Is it a "dark and stormy night" or a bright and happy night? One way to light the scene "most realistically" is simply to turn off all artificial light sources. This usually proves unacceptable to both director and audience. Strive for "theatrical realism" instead: illusion of verisimilitude/willing suspension of disbelieve and all that other rot.

See also Lighting Concept/Lighting Statement.

How long is this set going to be up for? If we are talking months to years, using fiberoptics will have a higher up-front cost, but a longer and lower running cost. Star-scape gobos tend to be super inefficient when you consider the amount of light blocked from leaving the fixture, yet lamp wattage and life plug along.

How long is this set going to be up for? If we are talking months to years, using fiberoptics will have a higher up-front cost, but a longer and lower running cost. Star-scape gobos tend to be super inefficient when you consider the amount of light blocked from leaving the fixture, yet lamp wattage and life plug along.

Sorry for the delay in my response. The set will be up temporary as it will be a seasonal attraction.

Derek - Thanks for the advice, I will try to get more information from the client, but unfortunately they usually do not want to be bothered with this type of questioning, they just say "make it look like night time"... So that could lead to other questions like how to deal with tough clients like this....

In a genreal sense, when I'm doing a "heightened realism" type of night look on stage, I like a very deep blue wash (L119 often) with light lav breakup gobos (often GAM 643 "moonscape" and something like R55 or R54). It's not what night actually looks like, but it's pretty and communicates "night." But then, I like how Kubrick does windows. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back