BROKEN ETC EXPRESS

jtvd

I have an ETC Express 48/96 at a local high school and one of the kids accidentally plugged a clearcom cable using a 3/5 pin adapter into the Universe 2 output (please don't reply to that part). It fried the DMX universe output. The board works as normal, but the universe the clearcom was accidently plugged into does not work at all. I'm assuming the 24v traveling through the clearcom cable fried the board controller for that universe. Is that something I could get replaced or am I out of luck? The repair shops I've emailed with the problem either don't know what to do about it and have suggested just buying a new board or doing without the universe. Has anyone had any experience with replacing the boards inside an ETC express? Is that a possibility?

Your best bet is probably to contact ETC to see if they can provide you with information about what likely failed and how to get it repaired or replaced. Their US support number is 1-800-688-4116.

Probably just toasted the output chip. That's what it's there for! Protects the rest of your board from getting toasted as well. Your best bet is indeed to call ETC, and they'll probably recommend you take it somewhere to get serviced. This is a common issue if it's the problem that I'm thinking of, and any reputable rental shop with a good service department should know what to do in this case.

If it's the output chip the one from the RFU output should work. Theres details in this thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/20280-express-faceplate-problems.html . I'd suggest calling ETC and having them walk you/the most tech savvy person you can find through it if you want to do it yourself as the express is a PITA to take apart and reassemble.

The back "brick" on the express comes off quick and easy... and that is where the problem will be. Odds are you can just send that in and they can swap out the output circuit. Should not cost you all that much.

The chips to repair the output aren't that expensive, and are socketed to facilitate easy replacement (at least if the people doing the replacement are EE students who think that kind of thing is fun). This happened summer '11, so I'd imagine ETC still has the parts to repair that. Might be a good idea to move the 5->3 adapter further down the chain to help prevent future accidental cross connects in the booth. DMX driver chips probably also don't like phantom power, and speakers really don't like square waves.

Just Call ETC: 1-800-688-4116
They will take care of you.

It happens all the time, a tech just needs to swap out the opto coupler chip. They are designed to take a hit so you do not fry your console. Consoles do not like power through their dmx ports. I have had to deal with several consoles over the years where the chip was not socketed but that was always the first modification I would make when replacing the chip. While out on the road I always kept spare chips in the console case

It's most likely a 75176 chip in an 8-pin DIP package. You should be able to get one from any electronics parts dealer (Mouser, Digikey, etc)
/mike

Call ETC directly. They are fantastic. I had issues with our RFU's over the years, and between ETC, and BMI Supply, I was never without an RFU for more than a day or two.

Thanks, all, your comments and suggestions were very helpful! I have it all running off of universe 1 for our musical this week, but once that's done I'll open it up and put in the new chip I ordered.

Based on that ETC part number, it's a 75LBC182; Mouser has them as part number 595-SN75LBC182P, Arrow as part SNSN75LBC182P. In a pinch, a 75176 or ST485 will also work.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back