Automated Fixtures Broken SeaChanger

Tweedle

Hey all.

Issue:

A few days ago, I noticed a SeaChanger Tungsten Profile unit not responding to DMX commands. We tested the DMX line and it came back fine with clean data. We also tested the power supplying the SeaChanger. It also was at proper voltage.

Upon opening the outer motor casing I noticed a connector inside had discolored and cracked apart due to what I can assume is a heat-build up (possibly arcing).

None of the other circuitry seemed visually damaged or out of order. The repair seems quite simple. Just a matter of reconnecting the wires with a new connector (looks like a 6-pin Molex).

Please find attached the photos detailing the issue stated above.

I figure it's just replacing the connector and I don't really want to shell out a nice sum of money in shipping, and repair, if this is something I can do in house. I just have to find the connector.

Thoughts?

2010-11-11 09.53.26.jpg2010-11-11 09.52.44.jpg2010-11-11 09.52.27.jpg2010-11-11 09.52.11.jpg2010-11-11 09.49.59.jpg

Because the heat damage is only on one side, the connector was over loaded, not over heated. If the entire connector was melted, head from the unit in general could be the issue but its not here. You have some type of other issue here, you really should send it in and get it checked out. Something overloaded that connector.

I would send it in to get checked out. They have issue with some wiring, and do offer a high temp wire alternative. I am not sure if that would be the internal wiring you are looking for or not, but it is worth looking into. They also have chip set issue. I have worked with a theatre who has over 30 of the older Seachangers, and have had to slowly replace many of the chips and have converted to the high temp cable. Since doing that, they have had no issues.

~Dave

Hi All
It would be best to send in the fixture to get checked out. I would agree with Kyle, it looks like something overloaded the power supply. Yes it does seem like an easy fix to just replace the Molex connector, but there may be damage to the male molex, the power supply or/and the main board.

Adding the hi temp cable will not prevent this problem inside the unit. The Hi Temp cable is only used on the power lead from the unit to the power source.

I am not sure what Dave is refering to what he says there is chip set and wiring issues. Maybe he can elaborate. I can assure you that there are over 7,000 Seachanger units that have been sold in the course of 5 years and the return rate is very low.

If I can be of assistance please give me a call.

Tom Stanziano
Seachanger
727-545-0741

A friend has over 30 units at their theatre. They were having issues with their changers. Their local vendor gave them "new chips" to replace on their old Seachangers, and they have been working great ever since. They had to do this on over 20 units over time. Not exactly sure what the part was, but it solved many issues they were having.

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back