Brown Theatre Curtain

bcronenwett

Hey everyone,

I was just checking on a few options. For starters, the space I wll be doing some work for has BROWN! curtains. The upcoming production is Seussical. By now, you are already probably cringing. ME TOO! The Set is going to be brightly painted along with eccentric lighting. Any suggestion on what to ... Possibly build the set on top of the curtains making them non usable or renting? PLEASE HELP!:rolleyes:

Thanks

Well, I would not build anything on top of the curtains... that is not a good way to treat soft goods.

There are plenty of options to get around this. First and easiest... see if they take light. You might be able to hang fresnels or pars with scrollers on them to brighten them up and change the color.

If the space is a fly house, you could pull the soft goods down and rehang rented ones without too much headache.

Another option, budget permitting, would be to build legs out of flats as well as headers. This is what is known as a "portal". You can then paint the flats as you see fit. I have built more portals and hung more portals then one person should in their life. Portals are great things, however they are not cheap. Building 12 6x24' flats and 4 headers is not cheap.

Thanks Footer,

Bouncing light off of them actually didn't even dawn on me. Using them as a CYC is A possibility. We are hanging a real CYC on the furthest upstage pipe. So this is a strong possibility. Also, the flats may be a possibility. We don't have a huge budget but our school reuses a large portion of all set pieces which will help keep money in the budget.

I will be using two Studio Spot 575's for this production with a HOG II so they may be used to help bounce some light!

Thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back