BUSTED

soundop

Ok, so our auditorium has 3 internet acess points, and me and my friends connect our computers to them all the time, well yesterday, i hooked mine up and walked away, well one of my friends opend up a torrent program, and they happend to be watching the network, well our schools network guy comes in and asks if im (my pcs name here) and i said ya, then it was about an hour of sitting and talking with the network guy, a dean, and a adminstrtor, i cant touch a computer owned by the school till next year, it was really scary, any one on here whos a computer geek should know how scary that kind of thing is

...i can't touch a computer owned by the school till next year...
Channeling Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado--they didn't say anything about touching your own laptop? (Sorry if that sounded risqué.):oops:

they said im not alod to have this machine (typing from my laptop currently) in the building again, now if i had another laptop...

They said I'm not allowed to have this machine (typing from my laptop currently) in the building again. Now if i had another laptop...
Perhaps some time in an English class, without a computer, would prove beneficial.

Lol, im not in reugular engilsh, im in an english class for learning/behavioral diorded kids, and our teacher rarely teaches us

You're picking on someone's grammar in an internet forum? Seems like a futile attempt.

While I understand that getting in trouble for what someone else did sucks, and I have experience in that department, you shouldn't have left your computer like that. I hate to sound like a hardass, but with the way the world works now, it's pretty simple for someone to walk right up to it and do something they shouldn't, as evidenced by what happened to you. I'm paranoid about leaving my laptop places running for that very reason.

I had a few run-ins with the network people in my school, but nothing too serious. The summer before my freshman year I had a job setting up computers in the brand new high school and at the same time the district was implementing a new network, moving on from the strictly appletalk/ethertalk/novell network that was in use before. The actual permanent network people had no idea what was going on, the firm contracted to set the new network up was doing all of the work. I had had Net+ and MCSE already at the time so one day just shooting the breeze with the contract guy I asked some questions because I was curious how they were structuring the district's new network. He got all pissed off and told me that he didn't have to tell me and that it was none of my business. The director of IT talked to me later and warned me that if I was caught screwing with the network there would be consequences - he retired the year after and I had legitimate run of the network because I got along really well with the actual techs doing the work (they learned quickly about the new network).

When BitTorrent first became popular toward the end of my HS career myself and some friends had a computer in the television studio dedicated to running torrents. It happened to be set up in the head-end room, connected to the core switch :). One day the techs came around to try and figure out where all of the district's bandwidth was going - the protocol analyzer program they were using had the torrent computer in the center of a circle with every other node on the network surrounding it and the conclusion was immediately drawn that the torrent computer was the problem - here's the kicker, they said that we couldn't run it full bore during the day, but at night and during weekends we could use it as much as we wanted! Like I said our techs were awesome!

You're picking on someone's grammar in an internet forum? Seems like a futile attempt.
Futility is my strong suit!:lol: I wasn't "picking on"; I was constructively correcting.

Once again, to quote from our illustrious leader:
Also, post using proper English spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It makes posts a lot easier to comprehend, and it represents you to the world. English shortcuts (neways, 2 instead of too, etc.) and slang in every other word may work for instant messaging, but it has no place at ControlBooth.com.

ya, well when they found me, they been looking for me since feburary, i surprised the tech guy and the dean with how much i knew, part off the reason i got out easier then i think i should have was because i dumbed down the network guys terms, for the dean, and even surprised the network guy with what i knew, how ever i probably have a bad mark on my premanant record, but i still 24 hours later have the adrinline from the whole thing going threw my body, also i checked the student hand book, and there was nothing on connecting your own device to it

There's always been a battle between me and the District IT Manager for our school system, I've always won however. None of the people in the school district think she's capable of her job she's actually retiring soon anyways. I once got banned from the computers in Middle School for Installing MSN (they were running Windows 95 with FoolProof Security) and they had left it unlocked. A week or two later the assistant principle called me down to his office. Can you guess what for? He needed computer help and was trying to apply for some type of veterans benifit or something so he kept giving me his social security number, good thing my memory sucks. I wouldn't do anything anyways but some people...

well heres something even scarier, we all went to bennigains last night after a show, and there had been a robbery nextdoor (no one knew about at the time) but about 10 cops come in and sorrund the place, and im already having an anxity attack, one of my friends made they joke they came for me, that scared the crap out of me

Coming from someone that spends a lot of time logged onto computers in public (I'm a CS major, lab computers are often times the best place to work, do the math) all I have to say is if your on a windows computer know and love the command [windows] + [L]. It takes all of a second to lock a computer as you walk away and all of thirty seconds to reauthenticate and unlock the computer when you come back. Is that little time worth what you just went through? I doubt it. I'm pretty sure macs have a similar command. There's whole websites dedicated to messing with peoples computer when they walk away. It's a scary world out there protect your data/computer/access/online identity/etc...

EDIT: It appears the best way to lock a mac is password protect your screen saver and use either a hot corner to activate it or put the screen saver program on you dock menu.

also i checked the student hand book, and there was nothing on connecting your own device to it

of course there wasn't...high schoolers are too stupid to know what an ethernet cable plugs into...right? I mean, if they didn't teach it to us, we must not know it.

our admins are retarded. I was running sound for some assembly or something, and no one could hear the speaker's voice out of the microphone. Our assistant principal comes up to the booth and starts spouting off stuff about how I don't know how to run sound and are our mics omnidirectional and crap like that. She finally finished and i was like, "lady, the speaker is holding the mic 2 feet away from his mouth...we have crappy mics...he needs to be closer for the mic to amplify his voice without a lovely squeal of feedback."

and she just walked away in a huff.

Last edited:
of course there wasn't...high schoolers are too stupid to know what an ethernet cable plugs into...right? I mean, if they didn't teach it to us, we must not know it.
our admins are retarded. I was running sound for some assembly or something, and no one could hear the speaker's voice out of the microphone. Our assistant principal comes up to the booth and starts spouting off stuff about how I don't know how to run sound and are our mics omnidirectional and crap like that. She finally finished and i was like, "lady, the speaker is holding the mic 2 feet away from his mouth...we have crappy mics...he needs to be closer for the mic to amplify his voice without a lovely squeal of feedback."
and she just walked away in a huff.

I love when self proclaimed experts tell me how to do my job.

IT admins are fun everywhere. Freshman year of HS ours only knew enough about computers to make the powers at be think they did there jobs well. In reality me and my group of friends obtained the admin password and we had an unsaid agreement that if we kept the network up and running we could install Unreal Tournament on any computer we wanted. There were always games going it was awesome, especially considering the game network was school wide so you'd be playing in the library with a bunch of friends and new players would show up that were playing from classrooms. Then sophomore year they hired real IT people that knew how to do their jobs.....balls.

i checked the student hand book, and there was nothing on connecting your own device to it

You should check to see if your school has an AUP (Acceptable Use Policy.) This would be the document that has the "rules" for computer usage. This probably wouldn't be in a handbook. (Well, it wasn't in yours anyway.) By using the school's computer services you say you agree to follow the rules. The funny thing is, they never post it anywhere. Of course, you might see it your freshman year when they're "explaining" what a network is during typing class, if they even do that.

while, im not allowed to touch any computer in the school till the next school year starts, thank god our soundboard isnt digital live lol. its not that bad, i only have 4 weeks to go

Our Drama Club has a wireless router that was originally labeled as NorTHeatre, so the IT's knew it was ours and told us to trash it, and so our director, switched the name to "NetGear" back to its default, and yet she, i, and one of our other technician's access it for our computers all the time. And as far as locking computers go, i don't let it leave my sight when i have it in our auditorium. you can never be too safe with personal information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back