Buying advice: ADJ Mega Pixel lights

Dsync

So it's time to buy some new gear and I'm wanting some decent LED bars. I got my hands on some Color Strips by Chauvet and absolutely hated them. Some of the worst lights I've ever used in my life. I've used other lights from Chauvet and they aren't total junk, but these LED bars are pathetic. So after looking for some alternatives, I came across the Mega Pixel by American DJ.

I won't be using these much anyway, so I don't want to invest a whole lot into this project. That's why I'm only considering DJ brands. They will be used with my Avolites Azure console and I'm wanting to know what kind of performance and reliability I can expect from them in the professional world. The only reviews I've found are from people using them as stand alone lights at a wedding or whatever with no DMX whatsoever.

I already know they will be much better than the ColorStrips I tried out recently, but will they be good enough? Can they handle a decent refresh rate? Do they dim smoothly? Any flickering? They have a 28 channel mode which makes me think that these are at least geared more toward a true DMX environment, not just a little DJ gig or whatever.

Any advice or insight is appreciated!!

I used to own 14 of these. They were a cool effect type of light but I never really could use them for "real" stage lighting as they just weren't bright enough. I now have a pair of them so I can mount them on speaker stands for the occasional small bar band type of gig. I used them in the 28 channel mode quite a bit, and on an Azure/Pearl. It takes a while to program but you can do some cool things with them. I once hung all 14 vertically off an upstage truss and got some cool effects, some interesting chases and such. If you're looking at using them as uplights be prepared to mount them to a different base than what is included as they do not stand up on their own well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back