Buying (used) Lamps

gotnoblue

I recently needed to restock my lamp supply. This is for a job I have only been at for a short time - so I went to the guy that has been used in the past - local dealer who has treated us well.

His price came in at $39/lamp for a ushio glc 2-pin. This seemed high to me and when shopping around found prices of $21 and $16 at another local shop and online deal.

My original guy told me that even he can't buy for the lower price and that these other places we selling used lamps with hours on them.

so here are my questions:

1. is it a common practice for retailers to sell used lamps without indicating it? has anyone else run into this?

2. how much value do you all put on loyalty to a dealer vs. getting the best price? i am mainly talking about purchasing expendables not equipment where service is less of an issue (not much after-purchase service is needed for gaff-tape).

thanks.

ed

He's blowing smoke where the sun don't shine. You shouldn't be paying more than $ 21.00 for a name brand GLC. No name imports are less but often less reliable.

It seems almost impossible to get supplies of used lamps, where would they come from on an ongoing basis? used lamps are pretty obvious.Big companies like Barbizon buy millions of dollars of lamps each year and get seriously cheaper prices than a local lamp supplier.Lamps out of China are ridiculously cheap, eg 575 hmi's $7-8 each and par 64's $10 each and seem to last reasonably well, so your cheap lamps could be counterfeit but not used.I can't afford "loyalty" if it costs thousands of dollars a year, so I give my local dealers first option, but I run a business and if they can't compete, then I'm sorry but that's life.So I buy local, if they can price match, national, for some lamps and international for really cheap and hard to source lamps.

I agree with Bill on this one, your local guy is taking advantage of the situation (or he is getting taken advantage of by the distributor). You should be able to get those lamps for between $15-$20.

I have purchased used lamps before. Our old spots took EZT350's, which were discontinued long ago, so we had to buy them from some guy named Biff out of his garage. (Only a slight exaggeration.) However, our seller was extremely up front with us about the condition of the lamps we were buying. I've NEVER heard of anyone selling used lamps without being VERY clear about it. As an outsider, the whole thing reeks of desperation. Sad that someone who's been so good to you in the past is trying to pull one over on you now. But ask yourself, is his loyalty worth $20/lamp? Unless the shipment comes with a lifetime supply of free pie, I would say probably not.

For every new CDM lamp we buy, our local supplier gives us a used one from a local movie theater. They get replaced every x months regardless of their condition. But those just get thrown in for free, I would never buy them.

If your dealer provides good support, that is worth a premium that is within reason. If his price was $21 and you could get the SAME lamp from supplier "X" for $19, then I would stick with your regular supplier. Double, however, is not reasonable. Money is too tight these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back