C-Clamp Yoke Bolt Washer

jmac

Posted this elsewhere, but re-posting to hopefully get a response to a small question. ETC C-Clamps come with a lock washer for the yoke bolt. But other versions (e.g. BMI) come with a large flat washer. Pros/cons of each? Should I change my locks to flats, or flats to locks?? I've noticed the lock washers sometimes make it difficult to loosen the bolt (or am I tightening it too much..?).

Belleville washer. The choice of whether to use any type of lock washer largely depends on Pan Screw or Yoke Bolt?. If you faithfully use the pan screw, you want the yoke bolt locked down as tight as possible. On the other hand, the Mega Clamp doesn't have a pan screw and thus uses a Belleville washer. It might be noted that the inclusion of the split lock washer is a relatively new phenomenon--I don't remember any clamps of old having them.

See also http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/10437-c-clampery.html.

Last edited:
It might be noted that the inclusion of the split lock washer is a relatively new phenomenon--I don't remember any clamps of old having them.

My thought - Split locks are cheaper than Bellevilles. I'm just a big Belleville fan because I use them at work regularly. If they're good enough to bolt high voltage bus together, then surely they're good enough for this.

I like flat or Belleville washers. My only complaint with the Belleville is that it can make the clamp extremely hard to remove if it was last tightened down by an over zealous lighting tech with an 8" wrench. The flat washers are easier to loosen, but in a way that's both a pro and a con, depending on what your intentions are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back