Installs cable type

llewop

I am building a mulitmedia loft at my church. I have a 16x4 snake to install but i don't want to use the sends for the amp feeds. Since I am installing permanently I want to use four signals two for each of two amps at the chancel (stage). One amp is for the two mains and one for the four monitors speakers. I should probably install two more cables for future at this time.
Would Cat5 be acceptable for the amp signal input cable or should i use some other type of STP? It is about 175' from end to end and thats with plenty of slack.

If you are saying that you are running a line level signal from the sound board or processor to the amplifier, you should probably use Belden 8451, which is about $120 for a 1000 foot box.

There was a thread a couple of days ago about using Cat5. The consensus is that it might work, but isn't optimal and costs about as much as normal mic cable.

It is unclear if you are using a RJ45 input on the amp, as many new amps have them. If you are, and you have an extra send or mic line in the snake, you might consier using these (see link below) You would just need a short CAT5 patch cable on each end to complete signal. They are great adaptors.

If you are using standard XLR ins on the amp, I would forego the CAT5 cable as rwhealey mentioned.

CPOINT

~Dave

Thanks guys, I am locating a spool of Belden 8451 as i write. I thought that I might be able to use the spool of Cat5E that I already have but I think for the interest of the long term I will buy some mic cable. I just want to put my power amps in FOH close to the speakers and run some line level cables to my control booth / mixer. Thank you,
Dave

There are other issues to consider as well. For example, is the cabling being run in conduit or could part of it be run exposed in what is considered a plenum area or through a riser closet? That might affect whether riser or plenum rated cable is required.

If you currently have two mains and four monitors I might run eight or ten cables, that way if you ever run separate monitor sends, add monitors, add aux fed subwoofers, etc. you have the cabling in place. And while you're running cable, you may also want to run some UTP cable in case you ever need it.

Thanks guys, I am locating a spool of Belden 8451 as i write. I thought that I might be able to use the spool of Cat5E that I already have but I think for the interest of the long term I will buy some mic cable. I just want to put my power amps in FOH close to the speakers and run some line level cables to my control booth / mixer. Thank you,
Dave

Belden 8451 is fine permanent install cable. For future reference, 9451 is identical except that the foil shield is bonded to the jacket. What that does is make the foil strip off with the jacket. It makes the work go faster. It can be found within a few $ of the same price as for 8451. I've often wondered why they still make both.

I will also say that for installations, I will only work with Belden or Gepco cables. Too many imitators have insulations that shrink at the mere sight of a soldering iron, and un-tinned copper wires that don't take solder well. Yuck.

It is unclear if you are using a RJ45 input on the amp, as many new amps have them. If you are, and you have an extra send or mic line in the snake, you might consier using these (see link below) You would just need a short CAT5 patch cable on each end to complete signal. They are great adaptors.

If you are using standard XLR ins on the amp, I would forego the CAT5 cable as rwhealey mentioned.

CPOINT

~Dave

Are you talking Ethernet? If so, unless you've got AES grade cable, forget it, the twisting will be insufficient for even 100 MBps performance.

I will also say that for installations, I will only work with Belden or Gepco cables. Too many imitators have insulations that shrink at the mere sight of a soldering iron, and un-tinned copper wires that don't take solder well. Yuck.

And I'll only take Canare or Eurocable in the main, Belden for coax.
Each to their own...

I wonder where do I shop for some bulk cable?
I tried my electrical supply house, (I am an electrical contractor) but they don't sell that stuff much and the best they can do is .22'. Is that in line?
I may just buy a 150' snake.

I use ProFlex twisted pair for all of our installations. Extremely nice cable. Has both a braided shield and foil. Ran almost a thousand feet of it two weeks ago for a church installation. No problems.

I wonder where do I shop for some bulk cable?
I tried my electrical supply house, (I am an electrical contractor) but they don't sell that stuff much and the best they can do is .22'. Is that in line?
I may just buy a 150' snake.

One good vendor for bulk cable and connectors is
Westlake Electronic Supply: Distributor for Wire, Connectors and Electronic parts

Another is
Wholesale distributor of electronics, broadcast equipment, sporting goods, cellular phones, accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back