Control/Dimming Cabling from dimmers to fixtures

Thanks JD,

This is why I am hunting for exact clarification on the BC electrical code for live theatre so that I know exactly what to tell them to do to "fix the problems" they say are there.

I think what confuses me most is that hundreds of theatres across Canada for sure (I work for 3!) have hard-wired dimmer racks with female soca connectors around the venue to connect soca and breakouts (or breakout boxes) to and then connect lights to. If this is so "illegal", why are theatre architects specing this gear to be installed in theatres? If it must be "circuit direct from the dimmers right above every single lamp in use" then I want to see that sort of thing in writing somewhere. If cabling from a "circuit" to a lighting fixture, is there a limit on distance? Time it can be used in this fashion?

In response to your question I posted some information above to point you in the direction of where you will find this type of information. I used the Ontario code because I happen to have a copy of this, as someone else pointed out earlier you have to pay $ for a copy of the code. This should not be a big issue for a theatre. I will scan and email the Ontario pages for you as an example if you PM me.

The various codes do define what constitutes a temporary instalation and what is a permament installation. An inspector will approve items on a temporary instalation that they will not approve on a permament install. Dimmer racks have soca outputs to accomodate temporary requirements for a show that is in the theatre for one or two weeks. You can also get a temporary inspection to cover a SOCA instal that is in the theatre for a show that extends beyond the normal temporary permit limits, but it is for a defined time measured in weeks, not years. In this case the inspector will expect to see a "Field evaluation Approval sticker" on the soca, the break ins and the break outs. I have this on mine, this is why AC Lighting in Toronto offers this as an option when you buy the stuff.

Just a note Canada also requires "Extra hard Usage" grade cable and a minimum of 12 gauge for fixed and portable stage equipment. Ontario allows for "miscellaneous portable equipment operated under conditions where the conductors are not exposed to severe mechanical injury, flexible cord types suitable for other than hard usage, as shown in Table 11, may be used" You need to check the BC code.

The rule for Wiring Methods prescribes the use of EMT, armoured cable etc. with an exception that allows "(a) other wiring methods shall be permitted for temporary work and (b) flexible cord or cable shall be permitted in accordance with other rules in this section." Again you need to read the BC code.

Re the electrician saying the facility was non-compliant, did you not ask him to provide the appropriate sections of the BC electrical code? He can do this can't he/she?

The next push back you have costs some dollars but not as much as rewiring a theatre. An electrician is only allowed to comment on what they personally see. If you want to get into interpretation of code and an opinion of if what you have is acceptable then here in Canada there are a couple of approaches you can take:

Approach 1: you want to know if what you have meets code you pull an inspection permit and have the Inspector do their visit they will either give you an inspection certificate or a report saying where you do not comply. Some risks to this because in an absolutly worst case situation you may find they stop you doing anything until the defects are corrected. But at least you know and everyone is safe.

Approach 2: you hire a professional engineer who knows theatre installations and get them to do an inspection and provide a report detailing any corrective action required, if any. You then have this available for insurer's etc. Also the engineer will then explain to the electrician their report on your behalf - should this be required.

Here in Canada every province has legislation that defines the work that can be done by licenced trades (includes electricians) and what work can only be performed by a licenced engineer, the design of electrical installations within a theatre falls under the definition of professional engineering. This is not the same as hanging a show.

Thanks JD,

Actually, I believe what these lost, misguided soles are after is doing the upgrades themselves hahaha. They are not just walking in, making broad comments and then walking away expecting us to fix it.

This is why I am hunting for exact clarification on the BC electrical code for live theatre so that I know exactly what to tell them to do to "fix the problems" they say are there.

I think what confuses me most is that hundreds of theatres across Canada for sure (I work for 3!) have hard-wired dimmer racks with female soca connectors around the venue to connect soca and breakouts (or breakout boxes) to and then connect lights to. If this is so "illegal", why are theatre architects specing this gear to be installed in theatres? If it must be "circuit direct from the dimmers right above every single lamp in use" then I want to see that sort of thing in writing somewhere. If cabling from a "circuit" to a lighting fixture, is there a limit on distance? Time it can be used in this fashion?

And yes, I completely agree...they are just bullying. They, I know for a fact, dont actually want to do any work at all. They are famous for wanting to visit a school and have coffee with custodians for 6 hours then go home. That's why the drapery issue last year came out the way it did. They saw that it was real work and told us to do it ourselves, and then went and had coffee. I have had various colleagues (including a guy who walked through the schools 2 years ago after the accident) who did reports on things that were wrong. And the circuiting was never mentioned in our report. Only a couple of poorly installed lighting pipes that have been there before I arrived. Still waiting for them to change those too.

....Can you just ignore them? What are they actually going to do? Are they going to pull the proverbial plug on your program? I would just say to them "Its your building, if you want it up to code, please cite it what codes I am breaking and I will pull my gear out. After that, it is your job to bring your building up to code." If they replace gear, great. Odds are they won't do anything. I know playing deaf and dumb is not the best way to go about things, but sometimes it has to happen.

One fast note about Soca; It is an "engineered portable cable" so it is not code (at least in the US) for permanent install. Whenever that many conductors are carried in the same case (conduit or raceway), they are de-rated in capacity.

I was thinking there was some exception for load diversification if you knew that loads were not on 100% and not all at the same time. Does anybody know details on this?

Thanks,

CSharp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back