California plug?

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
What the heck is a California plug, or California-Style connector? And why? Is the electricity different in California? Swimmin' pools and movie stars? Can they be used (legally) in other states?

Last edited:
We sure do like our swimming pools, I think I may just go for a swim today in-fact.

I cheated and looked them up, I think I have an idea of what makes them so special, I didn't realize they where named after the state though, that's cool.

I have a feeling they where designed as an impromptu form of punishment for any green techies that screwed up wiring somewhere, just prod them with an extra connector, things are pointy.

Isn't it a CEEform connector or something very similar. If I remember correctly, they can be used elsewhere but nobody uses them because they don't have the government encroaching upon their lives forcing them to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it a CEE form connector or something very similar. If I remember correctly, they can be used elsewhere but nobody uses them because they don't have the government encroaching upon their lives forcing them to use them.

They are definitely different than a CEE form connector. People also use them throughout the rest of the country (and maybe the world?). I have seen them most commonly in power distros for sound gear. Often they are used to connect smaller distros in amp racks to a larger distro with cams or something along those lines.

We use them for power distribution because they tend to be easier to work with and they are more rugged than the smaller style. Here's a few pictures to help you identify these in the future.

140.jpg

31AYJ4RBS6L.jpg
This is the 3 phase pinout, single phase the keys go out on the pins.

In California we have our own gas formula, our own smog rules, our own OSHA, even our own sushi rolls. Why shouldn't we have our own plug?:twisted:

You have enough...We need something special for Washington. OR better yet, Idaho! (Is there even anyone from Idaho on CB? well, I'm almost in Idaho :)

And I suppose I could answer other questions other what they heck the thing is, NO Derek, electricity is no different in California as it is in other parts of the country (or world). I'm assuming that they wouldn't be illegal in other states, mainly because I could buy one from Amazon in the state of Washington (Those things are expensive!!!!) and why would California have something that couldn't be used in other states (They seem to be stricter about some things).

Last edited:
You have enough...We need something special for Washington. OR better yet, Idaho! (Is there even anyone from Idaho on CB? well, I'm almost in Idaho :)

And I suppose I could answer other questions other what they heck the thing is, NO Derek, electricity is no different in California as it is in other parts of the country (or world). I'm assuming that they wouldn't be illegal in other states, mainly because I could buy one from Amazon in the state of Washington (Those things are expensive!!!!) and why would California have something that couldn't be used in other states (They seem to be stricter about some things).

Idaho has potatoes they always have probably always will... Ever hear of something coming out of South Dakota? Technically any plug can be used anywhere(as long as it is rated for the connection), while it may be more difficult without adapters to allow other connections to said plug.

Idaho has potatoes they always have probably always will...
(More against my point but...) Washington outgrew Idaho last year in potatoes! No, what has come out of South Dakota? People looking for a big city? *ducks*

Good point about the adapters for it.

Technically any plug can be used anywhere(as long as it is rated for the connection)

You have apparently never worked with my old boss, ratings don't change what you CAN use a plug for, it just matters what you SHOULD use a certain plug for. He is also the man that told me to twist two pieces of 12 gauge wire together because we ran out of 8 gauge.

You have apparently never worked with my old boss, ratings don't change what you CAN use a plug for, it just matters what you SHOULD use a certain plug for. He is also the man that told me to twist two pieces of 12 gauge wire together because we ran out of 8 gauge.
Is he a former boss because he killed himself being stupid?:twisted:

Take it to Off-Topic, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back