Camera Suggestions for Imag

bishopthomas

I'm considering purchasing a camera for imag purposes. We have a few gigs coming up where we need to either rent or buy, so if it make sense to purchase then obviously I'd rather do that. Some qualifications: no need for HD but would be nice if we ever need to capture for dvd release. Outputs without recording via a format capable of long 100'+ cable runs. Decent in low light; most of its use will be well lit corporate stages but I'm sure we'll need it for concerts as well. I'm all about buying used when possible. I'm thinking $2000 will be my budget (if much more I'll just rent) but let me know if that's not realistic; I have no idea what I "should" be spending. Thanks heaps!

Look at a used Sony VX2100. Not HD, but they'll definitely do what you need. Awesome in low light. Should run you around $1000 used.

Also, if your concern for HD is DVD release, DVDs are standard def...

If there's going to be an operator on this camera, don't forget a good quality fluid-head video tripod so the pans can be smooth.

I regularly use a Canon GL2 firewired to a NetBook for direct-to-disk recording. It saves a lot of time, plus you can then run tape for backup. Not as elegant as having a camera that records to sd cards or whatever, but it's cheap: $300 for the NetBook and $50 for the FireWire card, or $0 if you already have a laptop with FireWire.

No, I use it as part of a multicam recording setup, but all the camera needs is a FireWire output (unless you want to record the output of the switcher not just the camera, then you need a capture card). There's nothing special about the GL2.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the sony HDR-FX7. It's a great hd camera, good size, works well in low light. It is a mini-dv camera, but has FireWire out as well, and hdmi, composite, and component outputs. I've used it for years in a theater environment and love it.

It's going to cost, but the 100' or greater run and i-mag suggest it may be worth looking at something with a HD-SDI output. But since you mentioned a switcher, that may also depend on what the switcher will accept.

I like the component out option, thanks for the suggestion, 911. Brad, the switcher will more than likely be rented or if I buy one I'll make sure that it's compatible with gear I already have. I would think building the rig around the camera would be better than settling for a camera just because it is compatible with the existing gear would be better, right?

Again, guys, don't get stuck on HD. If it has it great, but it's really just a bonus to the features that must be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back