Can someone tell me why

I would be interested in seeing hard results on truss being cut in half due to the shock load of it being a safety (which truss company told you this?). As I stated, I have seen first hand the failure of a roundsling when a PAR can was pointed at it (note, no open flame, just the heat from a lighting instrument). Would we trust plastic bolts to hold our lighting instruments and other gear without some sort of steel safety measure? I doubt that any of us would want to walk under that rig if we knew.

I am willing to be proved wrong on this matter. However, we need to tread carefully and only present facts and not opinions. Even if we see others doing something that is wrong by industry practice and they have no problems with their hang, does not make it a safe practice. I have a former colleague who works for one of the major truss companies. I will contact her as well to see if we can get a better estimate of good practice.

couldn't a second down wrap accomplish *about* the same thing?

Cheers

From a load transfer standpoint, this is not the same. When you wrap a truss with a sling to the suspension device and then wrap it for a pick point for something hung below, you are applying a shear force to the cords of the truss. With a lift point like these, that force is transferred directly to the suspension device.

Regards,
Ethan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back