Carabiners

Markm

Hello All,

I am looking for a low profile, auto locking carabiner that I can use with some rigs I am working on. The criteria is:

• Less than 4in length
  • Rating of no less than 25KN <>
  • Auto Locking
I normally use the Micro Inox carabiner from Austrialpin, however for this application the performers are unable to deal with the rather over engineered autolocking gate.

Let me know if you have any favorites that fit this discription, I would love to hear your feedback

Happy New Year

Mark

Are you flying people?:shock:

Based on your question, this seems to be the case. The only advice we can give here is that you do not attempt to do this yourself. Contact one of the following companies Flying by Foy, Hall Associates, or ZFX. These three companies specialize in flying people. They are not cheap. You're probably looking at a minimum of $4000.00 for the most basic of flying effects but the only way to do this safely is to leave it to the professionals. That would be the staff of these three companies. The rest of us, no matter how much we might think we know, are simply not qualified. Don't put your performers' lives at risk by setting up a flying effect yourself. Also remember that if you screw this up and someone is hurt or killed, you can be held personally liable, both civilly and criminally. Don't take that risk.

According to his profile, the OP is a Stage Rigging and Automation Professional. He may or may not be trying to fly people. There could be set pieces attached/ unattached by performers or countless other things. Heck, for all we know he could work for one of the companies listed above...

According to his profile, the OP is a Stage Rigging and Automation Professional. He may or may not be trying to fly people. There could be set pieces attached/ unattached by performers or countless other things. Heck, for all we know he could work for one of the companies listed above...

Even if that's the case, we still can't give rigging advice, especially given that a Stage Rigging professional should be more qualified on this subject than the typical CB member.

i don't believe he was asking for advice just asking for referances to diffrent carabiners which as i read the TOS it says nothing about stating which carabiners work with what hes trying to do he's state all the specs he needs and were basically helping find parts. if this is still a problem it should be clarified in the TOS

I happen to agree with DuckJordan on this one, its sort of like asking if we like one type of bolt over another, or any other product for that matter (different types of C-Clamps comes to mind), Its up to the end user to decide of the product that other people like is safe. All the OP is doing is asking if we like any other type of component.

Omega Pacific's Tactical line of carabiners looks to be something that you might use for whatever you are doing. I climb with these all the time, and they are rated to 31KN. They are a little over 1/4 of an inch longer than your spec, but stronger. Also, they do not have an auto lock. However, the local SWAT team uses them for rappeling out of choppers, if that means anything to you. They are also part of my cousin's (an Airborn Ranger) Parachute rig, if that means anything. I can not find an industrial type biner with an auto lock, however, that would fit your spec from a company I trust. They probably do exist though.

In the category of micro carabiners, the one posted are the only ones that I can find that I would actually use for anything at all, to be honest. I am not a huge fan of small 'biners, mainly because my larger fingers have issues with the locking mechanisms.

Hi all,

I do have to say I did get a chuckle from the replies. Basically all I was asking for was if anyone had a great low profile carabiner which was auto locking they felt like recommending. I do a lot of work with custom made connectors, however these aren't practical with this client from a financial standpoint and I want something off the shelf I can put forward as an option.

I'll figure it out, just thought I'd ask, sorry for all the confusion.

Thanks.

Markm, glad we could amuse, sorry we weren't especially helpful. The topic of rigging, especially when it involves flying humans, is a particularly touchy one here on CB. Hence our TOS/Safety Policy:
The users of ControlBooth, in a effort to police themselves, have evolved the following: No discussion of "how-to" of rigging, pyrotechnics, human flight, stunt falls, weapons and electrical will be permitted. Our stock answer to these questions is always "Consult a qualified professional."
Stories such as Actor In Christmas Pageant Dies After 25 Foot Fall (where it's likely that operator error, the harness, and the carabiner could have been at fault) are too common in our industry. We'd like to not ever see another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back