CD-80 not dimming, full power only.

michael728

I'm using CD80's on the sensor racks. They used to work fine but now some channels will not dim. Lights will go on to full or off only. Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve these issues? :cry: thank you

Most likely the scrs are blown. that's a sort of typical behavior. The SCR itself can be removed and reinstalled if you have the soldering skills. If not i's a trip to a repair shop..... There is one other possibility which would be a trim error but I don't think that's it. Obvisouly make sure you don't have your dimmer profiled to be a non-dim in the board too.

...They used to work fine but now some channels will not dim. Lights will go on to full or off only. ...
Glad you found a pertinent thread, Michael, but in this case, I don't think a failed SCR/SSR is your problem. It sounds like you have control of the lights, on-off, but no dimming. When an SCR fails, it's one or the other, with no control. Assuming it's not something in the control console, I'd look to the rack's/pack's control card. Is it all or only some of the dimmers? Which ones? Are they all on the same phase or follow a numerical pattern?

I'm using CD80's on the sensor racks. ...
I don't understand what this means. It's like saying a Ford Impala or Chevy Taurus. If CD-80, which version? CD-80AE or CD-80SV?

Glad you found a pertinent thread, Michael, but in this case, I don't think a failed SCR/SSR is your problem. It sounds like you have control of the lights, on-off, but no dimming. When an SCR fails, it's one or the other, with no control. Assuming it's not something in the control console, I'd look to the rack's/pack's control card. Is it all or only some of the dimmers? Which ones? Are they all on the same phase or follow a numerical pattern?

I don't understand what this means. It's like saying a Ford Impala or Chevy Taurus. If CD-80, which version? CD-80AE or CD-80SV?

Thank you for following up with me, I double checked and I have the CD80 Supervisor here.. the channels that don't work are 175-180 and also channel 168 is no good anymore which is on the same rack/phase.

So a CD80 Supervisor rack. If you swap a bad dimmer module with a known-good module, does the problem follow the module or stay with the slot?

Believe it or not,

I got stuck with three CD80-SV racks(That have Some bad modules- Slow response time)

Try doing a show in summer - My town's power grid was designed to take on a PAC.

You may say that the "Brains" are stable, but when I get a variation in the Incoming power, Bam! The rack has auto Panic-ed!

--

I found out that the CIC is recovering faster the processor, and so it doesn't detect it, Causing the panic.

There is a Jumper where you can disable the Auto panic Function(When the CIC doesn't detect the Processor), but You wouldn't really know when the Processor has failed. - Which can be really bad.Especially when your on a B.O. cue ;)

All in all, This has caused my Relationship with Strand to be a VERY VERY bad one.

buy ETC!!!! :)

Just my 2cents and Experience
-Lightinngguy1

The first thing I would try (which was already mentioned) would be to swap dimmer modules with known working modules. If the problem follows the module, the problem would probably be the ssr on the module. If it is not the modules, then it would be a processor problem. If that is the case, let me know and I will help you out.
Does the lcd screen show any error codes?

Lightingguy1:
Sorry you are dissatisfied with your relationship with Strand. It is not unexpected that the cic boot faster than the processor. If the cic did not come up first, the processor would not be able to see the modules (if reporting) and it would start throwing out error codes that are not valid. Short of a generator or second power source, there is no easy way to keep the entire rack powered if the city power dips, but if it is a major problem for you, perhaps our engineers can come up with a few suggestions for you. Message me if you are interested.

Thank you for following up with me, I double checked and I have the CD80 Supervisor here.. the channels that don't work are 175-180 and also channel 168 is no good anymore which is on the same rack/phase.

175 to 180 is a group of six, so I suspect a "soft" problem in which this group thinks it's in relay mode. The 168 may be a failed module, so I think there are two unrelated problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back