CD-80 Replacement SSR

Hi all. I'm trying to find replacements for some burnt out ssr's for CD-80 dimmer packs. The ones I've removed look like this:

proxy.php

Except they are rated for 45 and 50 amps and the input voltage is 3.5-26.

My question is would these work:

proxy.php

The max output and input voltage as well as amperage are higher. Is this an issue?

As a rule of thumb, same or higher ampacity, same or higher voltage.

There are a few more considerations that I was not able to pin down in my brief search, but they are important:
1) There are two types of SSRs; Ones that will only fire at the waveform cross point (won't work in a dimmer) and ones that can be gated at any point (will work in a dimmer.)
2) Mounting and heat transfer. Are the dimensions and mounting the same?
3) Electrical isolation. All SSRs that I know of are isolated, but check.
Of course, you could always call ETC to make sure! I must admit, the cost is pretty low. Usually a good thing, unless....

Just found this- It looks to be a zero-cross device which would not work!
http://www.dhgate.com/product/10pcs-single-phase-solid-state-relay-ssr/150764817.html
proxy.php

Last edited:
You do need a close physical match for the dimmer packs. the way this hooks into the control pc would likely prevent you from using the SRR in your OP .
don't forget the thermal grease or thermal pad

That wouldn't help at all, ETC might be helpful people but I doubt they would be able to tell him anything about what would and wouldn't work in a strand CD-80 dimmer.
Ha! Caught me! My goof, read to fast.
In any case, the pictured SSR will definitely NOT work in a dimmer as it is a zero-cross type.
Funny how the ones with the extra zero-cross circuit cost so much less that the ones that do not have the circuit built in! Law of supply and demand I guess, and in most "Relay" applications, the ZVC detector is very desired. Only us dimmer people want it without.

That wouldn't help at all, ETC might be helpful people but I doubt they would be able to tell him anything about what would and wouldn't work in a strand CD-80 dimmer.

You'd be surprised. We do carry the correct part, as we used it in dimmer products of the past as well. The Production Advantage part in the link above will work fine. Of course, as venuetech very correctly points out, if this is a dimmer pack, and not a dimmer rack, the vertical height of the cube is quite important since the control card PCB screws down on top of all the cubes across the center of the pack. Check that dimension before buying.

Have fun,

David

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll pick 'em up at PA. Was just hoping to save some cash.

There are so many variations that is gets a bit hard to track, let the guys at PA do it.

With that, 4 years ago I bought them out of their dual SCR blocks... they were 30 dollars cheaper then Mouser. Then, all of a sudden, their price jumped 40 bucks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back