CD80sv 48-channel rack single phase operation

dreamist

Hey there...

I picked up a pretty screaming deal on a 48-channel install Strand CD80sv rack, and I'm now considering my various options as it relates to A/C hook up.

My venue is an old barn theatre, and we don't have a three phase drop immediately available. I may be able to convince the power company to run it eventually (the third phase stops one and a half poles away from me.. I can literally see it from the front door) but for now lets assume I'm stuck with single phase...

I called my local dimming experts and described the rack to them, and they recommended that in order to hook it up single phase, that I should basically shunt the A and B phase lugs together and feed them both one of the hot sides of my single phase, and then hook the other hot side up to phase C in the rack. I'm sure that would work fine, but it would imbalance the rack in that 2/3 of the dimmers would be on one half of the single phase, and 1/3 of the dimmers would be on the other.

Taking a closer look at the rack (and the CD80sv manuals) however, leads me to believe that the rack and controller is made to be operated in a balanced single phase mode. It appears that it would be very simple to rebus the middle two vertical rows of dimmer modules, with one row reattaching over to the Phase A hot lug, and the other attaching to the Phase C hot lug, leaving the phase B hot log empty in the bottom of the rack. The screw terminals on the lugs have more than enough empty slots to do this.

The manual talks about a jumper, LK14, which can be installed for single phase operation. My hunch is that installing this jumper tells the controller module to split the rows of dimmers in half rather than in thirds, so that the crossover timing is correct.

My question, really, is.. does anyone out there have any better sources of information than the manual for what LK14 really does, and what the proper way to hook up for single phase might be? Has anyone perhaps done this very thing? I know pretty much everyone has three phase, but alas, I dont :-/

Appreciate any pointers..

Thanks,

Joe

Call dimmer.com. They know more about these racks then anyone else... and will be able to support you for parts after the thing does not power up right.

I called my local dimming experts and described the rack to them, and they recommended that in order to hook it up single phase, that I should basically shunt the A and B phase lugs together and feed them both one of the hot sides of my single phase, and then hook the other hot side up to phase C in the rack. I'm sure that would work fine, but it would imbalance the rack in that 2/3 of the dimmers would be on one half of the single phase, and 1/3 of the dimmers would be on the other.
Joe
Don’t do that. You will need to balance the phases. Single phase has been done for SV racks, but it requires wiring the backplanes appropriately. Let me pull some data for you before you decide if you want to have this done or not. I’ll send you a PM. I would comment on how this voids the warranty, but I doubt that is an issue anymore. I will say however that if the rack was UL listed as a 3 phase unit, it will no longer be UL recognized if you alter it to single.

Call dimmer.com. They know more about these racks then anyone else... and will be able to support you for parts after the thing does not power up right.
… ouch… thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back