Microphones Ceiling mounted microphone install

urban79

Two-part question:

We're looking at putting in some sort of microphone(s) for recording in our auditorium. I need to get it off the ground inexpensively, with the hopes that we could upgrade in the future.

Does anyone actually make a mount system for this type of install? It will be semi-permanent, as access will be extremely limited, and we want it in place at a moment's notice... I'm figuring two condensers in an X-Y configuration.

Second, could I get recommendations for microphones for this type of system? I'd love to see about three budget levels: bare bones - how cheap can i do this (say under $300, if possible), a decent range (500-800), and pie in the sky dreaming :)

Thoughts, recommendations, random musings on the idea?

Thanks!
Chris

On the cheap, start with something like this: On Stage MY500 Stereo Microphone Attachment Bar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

With an adapter or two it is pretty easy to get a solid point attached to that. After that, some tie line, fishing reals, and XLR are usually the way to go to get an XY up. How you hang it really depends on access and where it sounds best.

Idealy you would get a "matched pair" of mics, IE to mics that the factory says sounds identical. Not all mics come in this configuration.

As to what to buy, on the cheap any of the under 300 condensers will do. After that, I would go to the SM81. After that, the AKG 391 Blue Line would be your next stop. Beyond that, you get into some crazy Neumann stuff.

For cheap, I have had decent luck with the Behringer B1 for overhead recording. Not a bad mic for the price, plus you can adjust pickup paterns depending on the mounting. Another option is something like a shure SM81 or SM137. Maybe these arent the best solutions, but I have had good results with both.
For brands, im not an EV guy, AKG and Shure are always good. Really depends on your prefrence.
However, no real point in going nuts with overhead mics in a school; you are recording student preformances yes? ;) Spend the money you save on a good multitrack recorder.

Access is going to be the tough part... I was planning on using the location of the AL antenna and wireless router as a starting point, but they've moved both of those on location... I may have to settle at first for simply mounting this to the roof of the booth.

As for the recorder, they've installed a Denon PMD580... we shall see...

What is the ceiling construction? What type of recording are you trying to accomplish? What size area needs to be recorded?

More information results in better answers.

Hmm, when I'm back home I will try to find pics - basically it's a sheetrocked ceiling. There are levels to the ceiling so that I have houselights that are pointed straight down, and ones that are pointed toward the back of the house (if that makes sense). There is some sort of access above, but I gather not good access.

The stage is roughly 60' wide and 30' deep, could be any portion of that area. At this point, I'd be content with archival level recordings. We're not recording for publication at this point. I'd also like to be able to at some point tie it in with the assisted listening system, and maybe even send the feed to monitors (long-term picture).

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back