CFLs on a dimmer?

Actually, the fact that using CFLs on a dimmer may cause them to burn out prematurely is a good argument. Most people install CFLs thinking that they will last longer and thus cost less to replace even though the upfront cost is greater. However if your lamps burn out before they should and you have to replace them more frequently, you have defeated the purpose. So using incandescent lamps would make much more sense.

So from what I understand, you're saying that it's dangerous to have the CFLs on the dimmer even if I'm using it at full power? If that's the case, I'll have them switched, otherwise I'm going to have to grin and bear it. Any input as to what may happen in the worst case scenario? Bulbs explode?

If your house lights are on a dimmer and you're stuck with using CFLs, you could set those particular dimmers to be non-dims. By doing that, you should not have to worry about your bulbs exploding. However, you won't have any control of the intensity (not that you would anyway, which is the main point...right?).

If your house lights are on a dimmer and you're stuck with using CFLs, you could set those particular dimmers to be non-dims. By doing that, you should not have to worry about your bulbs exploding. However, you won't have any control of the intensity (not that you would anyway, which is the main point...right?).

Setting your dimmers to non-dim or switched is not the same as using a non-dim module. The SSR/SCR still switches, and it is that switching that messes up things like CFLs (and other electronics). So, setting your dimmers to non-dim probably won't help in preserving the CFLs. If you put them on a non-dim or relay module that might help.

On the other hand, there are CFLs that are designed to be dimmed, and there are dimmers that are designed to work with them. If you wanted to invest in them, they might work (and be expensive), but I am sure that gafftaper could give you a list of reasons why they are lousy, as he had/has some in his new theatre.

CFL's have an electronic balast which is a switch mode power supply, which is designed for the non dimmable versions, to supply a regulated voltage to the cfl tube, even if the mains supply varies.
So dimming these will not work as the switch mode supply tries to keep the lamp at maximum brightness.
The circuit is designed for sine wave voltages so feeding from a dimmer is not a good idea.
There are dimmable CFL's available at a very high cost which does'nt help the budget.

For an alternative, have a look at Osram Energy Saver halogen lamps. It is a halogen lamp inside a standrad gls envelope to keep the publics oily fingers off the quartz envelope. OSRAM|Consumer|Home Lighting|Halogen lamps|Product overview|NEW HALOGEN ENERGY SAVER Range|index

Sorry, they won't damage the dimmers. They look ugly in use, don't dim, and are likely to burn out quickly... but that's about all you can honestly say about them.

Honest? What's that mean?

Unfortunately the janitors are going through a major crisis as our genie lift just got condemned by the fire marshall today as the hydraulics just burst. Apparently it's happened before so I'm hoping that the janitors (though nothing against them but I'm not sure I trust their handiwork) will fix it like they did last time. For now, we need to borrow the genie from our middle school.

Yet another thing pushing back any funds that we need :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back