Control/Dimming Channel Names on ETC Ion

Alex Smith

Before playing with the Ion, I fell in love with Light Factory.

One of the things I love about Light Factory is that you can label your channels like so:
proxy.php

this was incredibly invaluable for programming, and saved my designers a lot of headaches digging through instrument schedules and magic sheets.

Is there a way to do this on the ETC Ion? I feel like it's such a simple concept, someone else must have thought of this!

Thanks, anyone!

You can label channels with the label key, but you mostly see that information in patch. You can label things like this in Magic sheets and group them nicely there. I think that may be more helpful.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Key word text fields appear in patch. If you fill them you can use the query function. Not quite what you are looking for but helps. A magic sheet that you build and use as a display would give this to you. They don't take much time to build and the new display options I'm V2.2 are outstanding.
LS

You can label the channels in patch, that data is then visible on the Direct Selects, but you won't see levels and you won't see labels in the tombstones.

The best method is to create, as others have stated, a magic sheet. You then have the flexibility to lay out the channels in any method you desire and can add information to be displayed, such as Purpose, Color, Level, a gradient fill that indicates channels with values, etc...

Attached is a magic sheet for our Nutcracker. It's a "designers" magic sheet that somewhat follows the stage layout - I,E. bottom of the screen is downstage, etc... It's a "display
MS but the buttons are active if you have a touch screen, thus can set levels from them.

The data inside the channel objects is text ported over from Lightwright, with purpose and color indicated. The objects/buttons can also have other info. with Level being shown.

EDIT: You can also make a magic sheet of all channel tombstones in any configuration you desire, with Labels or Text info placed inside or around the tombstone. It's possibly not as flexible as using a Channel object box, which can be re-sized, where tombstones cannot. Channel box objects gives you greater flexibility of text sizes, fonts, placement of items, etc.... Magic Sheet's are very easy to configure to be what you need.

Nuts MS.JPG

Last edited:
Magic sheets are great fun, you can make a great overview of all your channels and more

Attachments

• 963d1b3c-54e3-465d-b3e7-38d21463744b.jpg
    963d1b3c-54e3-465d-b3e7-38d21463744b.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 210

Users who are viewing this thread

Back