Ion Xe and I-Cue with Iris - patch question

Hi! My students and I are learning our new Ion Xe and have just acquired an I-Cue and City Theatrical DMX Iris to mount on one of our S4s. We've been able to patch them, but I'm wondering if we can get all four parameters on one channel? Right now, I have one channel for the instrument intensity, a second for I-Cue pan and tilt, and a third for the iris. Seems like it should be possible to combine those into one channel with multiple parameters, but I can't figure out how.

A little more background - I used to do a lot of lighting work in the late 90s/early 00s, mostly on the ETC Express, then there was about a decade of working mostly as a director. Now, in an education job, I find myself doing more lighting again and working to catch up on 10 years of new tech. The school had an Express and a stock of conventional S4s when I arrived (along with some older stuff - including some *axial* 360s!). I've been slowly upgrading instrument stock and just managed to get the funding for the board upgrade so that we can start working with more modern instruments, too. The I-Cue is the first step in that direction. I have a small, but excellent, group of student technician/designers and I love having them learning the tech alongside me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Patch them in parts.

Example:
Ch 1 part 1 type dimmer address 1
Ch 1 part 2 type iris address 2

All the parameters will show up in ML Contols for the single channel.

EDIT:
Also since you mentioned you already had them patched, you can just move channels to parts.

example.
ch 1 is the dimmer
ch 2 is I-Cue
ch 3 is Iris

In patch,

ch 2 [copy to] [copy to] (this will change from copy to move) 1 part 2
ch 3 [copy to] [copy to] 1 part 3

Last edited:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

And, yes. I meant radial. Like I said, I'm rusty. :) When I first started learning lights at Rice U, our stock was primarily 360Qs, with a handful of older 360s. I found it somewhat odd when I came here that the inventory was a mix of Source Fours and radials, with what seemed like a generation of instruments skipped in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back