Chauvet is building a 4kw Xenon Searchlight??

JD

Ok, I was just caught off guard when I came across this on their website:
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/sky_scan_4000_UG.pdf

It's a 4000 watt unit but the power spec left me scratching my head!
230 volt 50 Hz

Guess it's not for the US market.

Just not a product I would have expected from Chauvet !!

Got to love this direct quote from the manual linked above:

"You should wear leather gloves covering the arteries and veins of your wrists and protective goggles or complete face protection covering the arteries and veins of your neck, such as a transparent plastic mask."

Last edited:
230 volt 50 Hz

"You should wear leather gloves covering the arteries and veins of your wrists and protective goggles or complete face protection covering the arteries and veins of your neck, such as a transparent plastic mask."

I suppose they are trying to not boil your blood? Appropo for Halloween. Silly translations...

And I'll trust that nothing will go wrong when feeding 4000 watts thru a glass ballon.

And I'll trust that nothing will go wrong when feeding 4000 watts thru a glass ballon.

...manufactured by Chauvet.

This is weird. They seem to be branching out in to more areas of "lighting".

That particular fixture has been around for a while. I'd never think about getting it given a reason to get a 4k searchlight.

However, don't just wholly dismiss Chauvet. They've been doing pretty well with their products recently, and have put out some good stuff for midrange budgets. The Q-Spot 260 LED comes to mind.

Take a look at the just introduced Q-Spot-560.

Q-Spot

DMX channels: 13 or 17
Pan: 540°
Tilt: 270°
Colors Wheel: 7 + white, split colors, continuous scroll at variable speeds
Gobo #1: 7 indexing, continuous scroll at variable speeds
Gobo #2: 6 (4 metal + 2 glass), rotating, interchangeable, indexing, slot-n-lock, continuous scroll at variable speeds
Prism Rotating, 3 facets
Iris: Yes
Shutter: variable speed? Yes, electronic
Dimmer: variable speed? Yes, 16 bit electronic
Move in Black? Yes
DMX connectors: 3-pin & 5-pin
Pan & tilt: 540° / 270°
Pan & tilt ranges: Fully adjustable
Gobo size: 32.5 mm outside, 27 mm image, 1 mm max thickness
Source: 3 (60 W) LED, 50,000 hours
Configuration: 3 white (14 A per die)
Beam angle: 19°
Lux: 1,929 lux @ 5 m
AC Voltage Range: 100~240 V, 50/60 Hz (auto-ranging)
Power Consumption 120 V, 60 Hz: 318 W, 2.6 A (operating)
Power Consumption 230 V, 50 Hz: 302 W, 1.3 A (operating)
Dimensions: 11.7 x 16.1 x 25 in (296 x 408 x 634 mm)
Weight: 43.8 lbs (19.87 kg)
Gobo Size: 25.8 mm outside, 18.2 mm image, 1.2 mm max thickness
Power Connection: IEC
Control Connection: 3 and 5-pin DMX
Certification: CE, ETLc
Environment: IP20, dry location
Cabling: 33 ft (10 m) power extension cable

$ 1799.00 MAP

That, for me,would be an indicator that it was a Xenon lamp. And 4kw is a very bright mover! In the Syncolight range. Great for outdoor gigs with scope...and less budget.

Could be a market.

I actually found the manual to be fairly well-written, and not really having the feel of a poor translation. Indeed, the "arteries and veins" section was oddly phrased. I know JD knows this, but I think the purpose was to ensure that the user doesn't bleed out due to a ruptured lamp driving shards of quartz in to their arm or face/neck (xenon lamps can explode violently if mishandled -- especially toward the end of their life).

Ok, I was just caught off guard when I came across this on their website:
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/sky_scan_4000_UG.pdf

It's a 4000 watt unit but the power spec left me scratching my head!
230 volt 50 Hz

Just not a product I would have expected from Chauvet !!

From the manual
POWER
AC Power ............................................................................................................................... 230V 50Hz
Fuse .................................................................................................................................. 15A 250V (4X)
Power Consumption & current (1K) ................................................... 853W (5.3A) max 0.83 PF at 230V
Power Consumption & current (2K) ............................................... 1481W (13.7A) max 0.63 PF at 230V
Power Consumption & current (3K) .............................................. 2.300W (21.6A) max 0.68 PF at 230V
Power Consumption & current (4K) .............................................. 3,200W (26.4A) max 0.73 PF at 230V
Inrush Power ....................................................................................................... (1.2A ~ 26.4A) at 230V
Can someone explain this circuitry to me. How do you switch on the 3k or 4k and not immediately blow the 15A fuse?

From the manual

Can someone explain this circuitry to me. How do you switch on the 3k or 4k and not immediately blow the 15A fuse?

Ahhh... 15 amp (4X) ? Sounds like there are four 15 amp fuses! I really hope they aren't all sitting there wired in parallel !

Maybe they each run a winding and depending on what wattage you are at is how many windings you are feeding juice to. Kind of odd.

Ahhh... 15 amp (4X) ? Sounds like there are four 15 amp fuses! I really hope they aren't all sitting there wired in parallel !

Maybe they each run a winding and depending on what wattage you are at is how many windings you are feeding juice to. Kind of odd.

If you look at the pic in the manual, it looks like there are 4 switches, one for each brightness. There is a single 15A fuse above each switch. You switch on the brightness desired, and what the heck is going on with the over current protection?

You're the smarty pants, here, JD. :lol: You are suppose to know! ;)

Any of our resident EEs/smart people care to explain how this works to me?

If you look at the pic in the manual, it looks like there are 4 switches, one for each brightness. There is a single 15A fuse above each switch. You switch on the brightness desired, and what the heck is going on with the over current protection?

You're the smarty pants, here, JD. :lol: You are suppose to know! ;)

Any of our resident EEs/smart people care to explain how this works to me?

Stacked windings are really the only option. Each switch says "1000 watts", so depending on how many switches are flipped on, that is your total wattage. Each 1kw winding is protected by a 15 amp fuse.

:grin:
Stacked windings are really the only option. Each switch says "1000 watts", so depending on how many switches are flipped on, that is your total wattage. Each 1kw winding is protected by a 15 amp fuse.
Oh! You're right. I didn't notice that each switch was 1kw and there is a power switch. I thought it was 4 power switches, one for each setting. I get it now.

can't tell if serious?

Yep, I'm serious surprisingly they are extremely well built. They sent us a demo so of course as part of our own qc let's see if it will do what they say it will. So we did try running it at 120. Though the power cord has to be upgraded. The light is very fast, dead on accurate and has a color tube mixing system including a true uv filter. The lamp isn't too bad to change just scary as hell. It doesn't mind getting wet at all. It uses 4 1000watt electronic ballasts to fire the lamp. The strobing is done electronically. It is also about the same speed as a studio color.

Yep, I'm serious surprisingly they are extremely well built. They sent us a demo so of course as part of our own qc let's see if it will do what they say it will. So we did try running it at 120. Though the power cord has to be upgraded. The light is very fast, dead on accurate and has a color tube mixing system including a true uv filter. The lamp isn't too bad to change just scary as hell. It doesn't mind getting wet at all. It uses 4 1000watt electronic ballasts to fire the lamp. The strobing is done electronically. It is also about the same speed as a studio color.

Whats it a blatant knock off of? I didnt know Fine Art made their own stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back