Chauvet Obey 70 questions

sonicdeluxe

I am hoping to get a little information about this board from some more experienced users out there.

I work with a horn band that does weddings and private parties. We do not have a need for a large light show, although for years we used 12 par cans and a couple of aggressors. I now use a Chauvet Obey 70 to control 6 Chauvet LEDSplash 200B washes to illuminate the band from the front. I recently purchased 2 ADJ Quad Scans and a Chauvet Hurricane Hazer 2D to go behind the band. Neither are programmed into the board yet. My dad has been in the hospital and I haven't had the time to sit down and add these new fixtures. I have used them though for a couple of Mardi Gras balls recently (I live in New Orleans) by just running the hazer all night and using a remote to control the Quad Scans, which leaves me very limited but it adds SO much to the limited lights show. Anyway, I hope to sit down and start programming soon but we have a show coming up for the We Care Foundation. This will be mentally challenged kids who have a formal dance. It's a low paying but highly rewarding gig that we have done for almost 20 years now. Over the years we have learned to keep the lights very simple or we can have bad reactions from some of the kids.

Now, my question, and keep in mind I am new to DMX and this board outside of the programming I did with the washes. If I start to add more lights to this board, and create chases uses all the lights, can I run it without issues if all those lights are not hooked up? I am wondering if I should wait until after this show to add my new fixtures and possibly get another board for next year. We also do some other smaller shows throughout the year that will require less lights.

The board doesn't really care if all the lights are connected up, in fact it has no way of knowing. DMX is a one-way communication, with the board as the source and dimmers/lights as the receiver.

The board doesn't really care if all the lights are connected up, in fact it has no way of knowing. DMX is a one-way communication, with the board as the source and dimmers/lights as the receiver.
Excellent!!! I was thinking that I might have to get another board just to use for smaller shows. It's great to know I don't need to. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back