Question about locating new tormentors for lighting

Reference to the ongoing litigation between Rosco and ETC in case you'd missed it, Jon. ETC have removed all reference to Rosco on their desks until the suit is settled.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Did you ask Rosco for permission to reference those colors on this software just now. (Ducking for cover) "
I everyone so gun-shy and so sue-happy nowadays that one can't even mention a color?? Good Grief!!
R420?

Reference to the ongoing litigation between Rosco and ETC in case you'd missed it, Jon. ETC have removed all reference to Rosco on their desks until the suit is settled.
Which, of course, means that if you NEED to reference Rosco colors on your Ion... don't upgrade your firmware.

Which, of course, means that if you NEED to reference Rosco colors on your Ion... don't upgrade your firmware.
This is simply incorrect.

Don't they refer to them as "legacy" colours and fixtures, or something like that?
This is correct.

From the Eos 3.2 release notes on page 6:
EOS-54441 - Rosco has filed suit against ETC alleging infringing use of Rosco trademarks in various ETC products. We do not agree with the claims but are going to proactively remove any uses of Rosco trademarks from ETC products going forward.

Other products’ documentation will carry advice on how these changes affect their use.

CAUTION: These changes will affect show files that were created previous to v3.2.0, and are loaded into v3.2.0 and later software. While playback and show content will not be changed, removed assets may affect Augment3d, Magic Sheets, ML Controls, and more.
For information regarding Eos import features, which allow images to be loaded from a flash drive, see Managing Show Files > Importing Show Data in the Eos Family v3.2.0 User Manual.
And then there's a chart, which I've screenshot:
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 3.49.16 PM.png

Based on my historical understanding of intellectual property law, Rosco *could not be* exercising any IP rights over the letter R, any more than Intel was permitted to over x86, which is why the 586 was released as the (trademarkable) Pentium Processor.

Thereby, they could only be exercising IP rights over the arbitrary mapping of colors into numbers, which that EOS "sidestep" does not actually side step, and hence wouldn't protect them.

In short, with all due respect to both ETC and LD's, ETC seems to be trying to have it both ways here, and I'm not at all sure how I want that to turn out.

In fact, though, the last graf of that notice seems to suggest that, in fact, if you have shows pre 3.2 saved with R numbers on LED fixtures, that those colors will fall off when you load them in to >=3.2 desks, and that supports the assertion I made: if you're using Rosco colors, don't upgrade your desk (to 3.2), or those show files won't load properly. ("removed assets may affect...ML Controls"; specifically, RGB colors derived by lookup tables from "R32".)

Why isn't that the correct interpretation of the available data, Scott?

specifically, RGB colors derived by lookup tables from "R32"
You're making an assumption here, and it's incorrect.

Why isn't that the correct interpretation of the available data, Scott?
"While playback and show content will not be changed, removed assets may affect Augment3d, Magic Sheets, ML Controls, and more."

I've taken the liberty to bold the relevant section. Your show will still playback the same.

For what it's worth, it looks like Rosco dropped the suit.

You're making an assumption here, and it's incorrect.

"While playback and show content will not be changed, removed assets may affect Augment3d, Magic Sheets, ML Controls, and more."

I've taken the liberty to bold the relevant section. Your show will still playback the same.

For what it's worth, it looks like Rosco dropped the suit.
You've taken the liberty to imply that I either can't read, or can't interpret what I read... but you didn't address my actual question.

What you bolded simply supported my initial assertion.

That sentence, though:

is internally inconsistent. Either it *will* affect the show, or none of this notice actually means anything, from what I can see. If removed assets are going to affect things, then things will change, right?

Any reading that makes it actually functional would appear to require language lawyering on the definitions of words that is out of scope for anyone except *actual* lawyers... :)

If Rosco's dropped the suit, perhaps they agree.

As a non EOS advanced programmer, I think the statement is pretty clear that what you see on stage will not change. But some things may change on the programming side of the console.

But hey, I just lift things up and put them down.

So, regarding the topic of the thread...

45° is a nice goal, but it's going to be achieved for exactly one spot on the stage. Given that you have side covered, I'd probably lean towards further out in the house (depending on the inventory you have available). Flatter light might be less ... Flattering... But it's going to give you the most bang for your buck, given that you don't seem to have any traditional catwalks to fill with.

Gentlemen, while this may be interesting to some ,we're getting VERY FAR AWAY from Sophia's original question, and the last bunch of posts will not do very much to help her light her show(s). Maybe there should be a new thread entitled "Jailhouse lawyers in the theatre field" or something similar.

Gentlemen, while this may be interesting to some ,we're getting VERY FAR AWAY from Sophia's original question, and the last bunch of posts will not do very much to help her light her show(s). Maybe there should be a new thread entitled "Jailhouse lawyers in the theatre field" or something similar.
Or Jailhouse Theatre consultants... or LX designers or Peanut Gallery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back