Chauvet Q-Spot 575 Issues

angus

I have some major issues going on with our lighting setup and could really use your help!!

DMX Fixtures:
3x Chauvet Q-Spot 575
2x Elektralite Paintcans
2x Martin MX-4
1x Martin Jem ZR24/7 Hazer

Light Control Board:
Lightronics ShowPro SM-280

History:
I've had issues with the light board and with the Chauvets but lets start with the Chauvet. For some reason one of my Q-Spots ignore the color and dimmer channel. I don't know why this is happening. Originally I called the company and they said to press down on the chips inside to make sure they are seated well. I did that and it didn't fix it so I got them swapped out for new ones. Now that I've installed the 2 new ones, one of the new ones is doing it again. I have a long run of XLR cables connected to make the entire run. The total feet is probably around 400 feet. I have no amplifiers or repeaters. This issue happens whether I have the light board connected on the stage (close to the Q-Spots) or far away at center stage where the production booth is which is the full length of the run. Has anyone heard of this or knows why this happens? Is my board just crap (the board is a second new one also) or the lights or what? Any useful input would be great! The issue is very annoying especially since it happens randomly on the same light... At sometimes the light listens to the commands and other times it checks out. The weird part is the entire light never checks out. When the color or dimmer channels drop I can always change gobos or control pan and tilt. Also it's almost always the same two channels that "check-out" color and dimmer and it's always the same light. Another point I'll add is the issue follows the fixture even if I change the address. Now I'm seeing it again with a second new fixture!

Please help!!!:cry:

Last edited:
What data packet speed is the controller set at? Try slowing it down a notch.

Also, you should be using real DMX cable and have the signal chain terminated.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure the speed the data packet or where to set that on the controler. It's a pretty basic model. For my better understanding what benefit would 5-pin DMX cables provide over 3-pin XLR if the remaining 2 pins aren't used anyway and if the fixtures and board have ports supporting 3-pin XLR?

Thanks for your help.

Quote: "This issue happens whether I have the light board connected on the stage (close to the Q-Spots) or far away at center stage where the production booth is which is the full length of the run."

Assuming you have the long run disconnected, and that your DMX has proper termination, AND that the cable is DMX cable and not mic cord, we can eliminate the cable as the problem.

Color and dimmer are on chn's 7 and 16, so it is not like DMX frame errors, which usually occur on side by side channels.
Still do not have enough information to help, but I can suggest the following tests:
1) Set all three lights to the same address and see if the one light remains funky.
2) Remove the light from the show and operate it by itself on a short cable with a terminator.

Although DMX is a "listen only" protocol, the Chauvets also have a mode that allows the lights to talk to each other. This mode should be inhibited when DMX is present. Although I can't imagine how this might interfere, I am at a loss for other explanations, which I can assure you is rare ;)

To have the replacement have that exact problem, and not be hearing about dozens of other people having that problem sure is odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back