Wireless Check my purchase order

Hi All,

I'm putting together a purchase (obviously) from Full Compass and wanted your feedback. Did I overlook anything? Any suggestions?

12 Shure ULXP14/51-J1 Wireless Bodypack System with WH51B Cardioid Subminiature Lavalier Microphone (black), 554-590 MHz

12 Countryman B3W5FF05L-SL Lapel Mic, -10dB for Theater uses, Terminated with Switchcraft TA4f for Shure L1, L11, LX1, SC1, U1 and T1 Transmitters; Light Beige

6 Shure UA507 Rack hardware for Dual ULXS

3 Shure UA844SWB Antenna/Power Distributor System, 470-952 MHz

1 Gator Cases GRR-10PL-US 10 RU Powered Lockable Rack Case (with Wheels)

And yes I know I'm getting twice as many mics as transmitters, that was intentional.

Thanks in advance!

I think you're going to need a bigger case. You have selected a 10 space unit, but you are going to be using all ten with you're equipment... No space for them to breathe and add an additional power conditioner? The rack only has 5 total outlets... Beyond that - XLR cables? Good start of batteries? Extra rack mount screws?

Last edited:
You'll only need three outlets for the Shures- the WA844s have power distribution for four receivers.

The only thing I can think of is that if you have the budget, you could get a fourth WA844 and then you'd only need one pair of antennas instead of three.

Are you sure you want the "UA507" - It says "For ULXS", while you have "ULXP" listed in the top.

You'll be happy with ULXP :) We've had 8 for five years and just added 8 more to replace 700 MHz stuff. No problems to report (except a DOA that Full Compass took care of).

Think about handhelds, too. I hear you can put a KSM9 head on the ULX transmitter, even though Shure doesn't offer the option officially.

Thanks so much for the help, guys. I knew I must have missed something stupid (like XLR and screws).

I decided to go with purchasing the transmitters and receivers separately, rather than the package which constricted me to Shure's mic, and that actually saved me over a grand.

I'm taking your suggestion and getting a fourth distro. Do you think I'll be ok using the provided antennas, or should I get paddles? The throw is never more than 100'.

(and the UA507 is the correct hardware, I think there's just a typo on the FC site).

So my (finalized?) order looks like this:

12 Shure ULX1-J1 Wireless UHF Bodypack Transmitter, 554-590.

12 Shure ULXP4-J1 Single Professional Receiver with PS40 Power Supply, 1/2 Wave Antennas, and Rack Mounting Hardware.

12 Countryman B3W5FF05L-SL Lapel Mic, -10dB for Theater uses, Terminated with Switchcraft TA4f for Shure L1, L11, LX1, SC1, U1 and T1 Transmitters; Light Beige

12 Countryman B3W5FF05C-SL Lapel Mic, -10dB for Theater uses, Terminated with Switchcraft TA4f for Shure L1, L11, LX1, SC1, U1 and T1 Transmitters; Cocoa

1 Pro Co MT12XFXM-05 5 ft. 12-Channel Snake (XLR-F to XLR-M)

1 Road Ready Cases RR14UED 14U Deluxe Effect Rack Case

6 Shure UA507 Rack hardware for Dual ULXS

4 Shure UA844SWB Antenna/Power Distributor System, 470-952 MHz

1 Furman M-8LX Power Conditioner, 9 Outlets (8 rear, 1 front), Pull-Out Lights, 15A

1 Middle Atlantic Products HTX 50 Pack Torx Star-Post screws and washers
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

How are you planning on handling antennas? Are you going to mount a pair to the front of each UA844SWB? Or might you want to consider a fourth UA844SWB to feed the other three and thus require only one pair of antennas?

Have you considered a larger case that could house some storage drawers or other method to store the antennas, transmitters, spare batteries, spare mics, etc.?

Has there been any frequency coordination done to verify that you can run all 12 systems simultaneously in the J1 band in the location(s) where you will be using them? It is likely not a problem but probably should be verified before you order them, especially if there might be other wireless mics in the same facility.

How are you planning on handling antennas? Are you going to mount a pair to the front of each UA844SWB? Or might you want to consider a fourth UA844SWB to feed the other three and thus require only one pair of antennas?

Museav, his order above indicates 4 UA844SWB. I would recommend two 1/2 wave antennea. At roughly $35 ea., they are cheaper than the paddles or a helical antenna, but better than the 1/4 wave antennea the units come with. Certainly if you have the budget, go all the way and get the best antennea.

I second Museav's comment about frequency coordination. It is a VERY important aspect of any wireless purchase this size.

~Dave

Sorry, I had started my post before the revised equipment list was posted and got sidetracked with my paying (more or less) job before submitting it.:oops:

Definitely check to ensure you can fit twelve channels into the J1 band split--otherwise you may want to get some in the M1 band instead.

I'll definitely add the 1/2 wave antennas, thanks for the suggestion.

I used Shure's frequency finder, and I've got 21 open channels up to a 70 mile radius. The closest venue is about 15 miles away, so I should be fine in that regard.

Thanks everyone so much, your input has been invaluable.

I'll definitely add the 1/2 wave antennas, thanks for the suggestion.

I used Shure's frequency finder, and I've got 21 open channels up to a 70 mile radius. The closest venue is about 15 miles away, so I should be fine in that regard.

Thanks everyone so much, your input has been invaluable.

You mean, mic frequencies, or TV channels?

I'm still confused as to why you need the UA507 rack mount stuff when you've got the pro version, which come with rackmount gear?

Had I known about these mics, I'd have tried them before buying nine E6s: MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment

I prefer the Sennheisers, but in part owing to my preference for the sound of their handhelds.

Get the splitters, but you might wait before spending the bucks on antennae. We have eight 100G3 fed by two ASA1 RF splitters. I decided to first try to feed the splitters with two of the little stick antennae that came with the receivers. The system works great.

You mean, mic frequencies, or TV channels?
TV channels

I'm still confused as to why you need the UA507 rack mount stuff when you've got the pro version, which come with rackmount gear?
I'm assuming that the rackmount gear included with the receiver is the single rackmount kit, and I need to have two receivers per 1RU. I can, however, check with Full Compass and see if they'll replace the single kit for the dual.

Had I known about these mics, I'd have tried them before buying nine E6s: MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment
I don't have a use right now for earsets, but would you really place the MM Audios above the Countrymen? I'm really not set on my elements, but the B3s are cheaper than MKE2s.

I prefer the Sennheisers, but in part owing to my preference for the sound of their handhelds.
I've gone back and forth about which brand to go with, but ultimately I can't get over the connection problems I've had with the Sennie transmitters.

Shure includes all the necessary rack mounting eqipment for SINGLE OR DUAL mounting. The two sets of ULXP both include short rack ears, and they both include a short little bar you attach between both ULXP. They also include one (each) long rack ear, which you won't use.

This is assuming you order the ULX system. I don't know if you just order the receiver if racks/antenna/etc come with it. I think I called FC on this before, but I don't remember what they said.

My advice, buy the ULXP systems with the short "instrument adapter cable". Then you're not being charged for a capsule or anything, but you still get all the rack gear and antennas...

Just a thought.

Countryman mics --

I have B3s (w5 are good), but I regretted getting the beige ones. They have Tan which "glow" much less than the beige, and I immediately started replacing beige with tan.

Over the last few years I've learned that the darker the better for theatrical, especially if you're running them through the hair. So am now actually slowly switching over all to black, with some cocoa for the light haired actors and ear mounts.

Of course, if you have a stage artist who will be coloring them, then beige is probably the best color to start with.

Last edited:
Too bad they don't seem to have a detachable cable.

Yes, but:

The whole thing is $100 shipped.

The cable for an E6 is at least $50 + shipping.

Even if the company is persnikety about what they will replace under warranty, I think it worth risking the extra $40, given that that mic is $250 less than an E6 in the first place.

Of course this is irrelevant if the mic's performance is lacking (or if they break all the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back