Chinese lighting console, do original designs exist?

jfetter

I'm looking for a decent 2048 channel computer lighting console for a fair price. So naturally Chinese consoles are an attractive option, the question is, are there any original consoles that I don't have to worry are OPP? I have one in mind but having been out of touring for many years, I am not up to date on modern DMX consoles at all. I'm trying to do this without worrying about copyright infringement or outright violation, any information would be appreciated regarding the console linked above. Frankly, my perfect console would be just hardware faders and bump buttons only with all programming, mapping and overlay channels being done in a seperate computer but sadly this just doesn't exist yet (some wings and mini controllers exist sure but not a full size option via USB/Firewire)...

Jack

Maybe look in to Zero88 consoles, particularly the Jester line. They are not Chinese, but they are pretty affordable for what they do, and they're original. Extremely unique, actually.

What functions are you looking for in a console? Do you need 4 full universes (2048 outputs)? What will you be controlling with it, and what is your budget, if you have one?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like the Zero88 consoles, very nice!

My budget is $2,500 - $3,000 to my door which may sound low but I know it could be done with Chinese products. I don't need 2048 DMX channels but I'd like to not have to multi-map plus it would be nice to have room to grow. I'll be controlling LED moving heads almost exclusively...

Jack

I sometimes work in a venue that has a Jester ML. They only have a few conventionals and a fiber optic curtain, but it's capable of far more. I've only played around with it a bit, but I'd like to really open it up and see what that baby can do!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like the Zero88 consoles, very nice!

My budget is $2,500 - $3,000 to my door which may sound low but I know it could be done with Chinese products. I don't need 2048 DMX channels but I'd like to not have to multi-map plus it would be nice to have room to grow. I'll be controlling LED moving heads almost exclusively...

Jack

I'll bet you could get a hold of a Jester within that price range. On top of that, Zero88 has support! ;p

On paper, I like the Jester TLXtra for theatrical use with light to moderate moving light/LED usage, but I'll bet any product in the Jester line will do what you're looking for. Note that http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/lighting/controls.html handles Zero88 products. The Jester TLXtra only has ten submaster handles, so maybe the Jester or Jester ML would be a better fit for you. Do take note of the fact that these two models do not have alphanumeric keypads. The TLXtra does, which is what attracts me more to it than the rest.

That said, Lightronics has some pretty good boards [with lots of faders!!!], and you could get in to one even cheaper than the Zero88's (but you'd miss out on Zero88's 'Frogger' game ;) ).

Lehigh, while not popular around here, would probably serve you well also. I've seen some Lehigh bashing on this forum, but usually it stems from users asking the console to do something it was not designed for, and venting here as opposed to contacting tech support. There's also the fact that the console had probably been abused in a high school for the last twenty years, so I'd still look at Lehigh as being a viable option if you're on a budget.

Leprecon makes great boards, but I've always found them a bit pricey for what they do.

Last edited:
To answer your question, tinhao guangzhou siquande lighting I have had extreme reliability from their dimmers with only minor problems, like the German circuit breaker failing, their gear is so easy to service and it's original, although at one time they were the Strand agents.Their patch units and mergers are also good.While not super cheap they are fitted in TV studios and The Great Hall of The People, one wouldn't want problems there.

I don't know about price range, but I hear Martin is coming out with some new mid-range products called M2. Might be worth a look although from the looks of them they might be out of your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back