Chocolate gel?

Technically, we're not mixing gels, we're mixing color and diffusion media. I've found that Lee and any frost will turn the color of the frost whatever the Lee color is, especially deep colors.

Sigh. I'm going to have to start typing everything out long form so you can't keep doing this to me.

Derek don't pick on the poor lad, he hasn't the wisdom of us post teens. Gosh to think he mispelled the word jelz.
ha.
:)

Derek don't pick on the poor lad, he hasn't the wisdom of us post teens. Gosh to think he mispelled the word jelz.
ha.
:)

Hey phil000 no worries me and Derek get along rather well. Or maybe he has me completely fooled.

So I just tried some of your "recipes". The L202 and L210 has a transmission rate similar to R99, but R99 had noticeably more red in it. I'm still trying to figure out what gel in chocolate without the ND.

I respect your dislike of R99, I just don't share in it.

Last edited:
You're not getting it! I'll type slower this time.

R3407 (Full CTO) + R97 (0.3ND) ≈ R99.

L204 (Full CTO) + L210 (0.6ND) ≈ L156.

However,
R99 L156 !!!

Of course R99 has more red than {L202 [1/2CTB] + L210 [0.6ND] } !!!

High-school kids: pay attention in Algebra class. You may need it someday! AND you can't mix and compare like that across brands--it ain't natural, and is a sin against the creator and humanity.

It's not that i dislike chocolate color media, it's just that I don't understand some people's love of it. And you don't have to "respect" my dislikes or likes. As TimMiller so eloquently stated, use what works for you (and the production). Let's see, NO bids yet--if you really loved chocolate, you'd bid. I'd buy the AP4900, as it's so very L115, just bluer and less greenia. Charlie Babbit made a joke.:neutral:

Last edited:
My word, am I going to be sent to Lighting Hell for such sins against the Natural Order?

I followed your listing again, but I'm still not getting matches. It still looks rather different, and not in a R3206 compared to an R3208 way.

I'm going to have to find some cuts of this and test it in real life and not with swatches.

...I'm going to have to find some cuts of this and test it in real life and not with swatches.
Brings up a good point about NOT choosing color by looking at it in the swatchbook. You must, until you've used them enough to know, see the effects of the color with a light source of the same color temperature as your fixtures. An incandescent or krypton MiniMag works well for this, but be aware that color does not "scale" linearly. I bet Apollo has some notes about that somewhere on their website.;)

Brings up a good point about NOT choosing color by looking at it in the swatchbook. You must, until you've used them enough to know, see the effects of the color with a light source of the same color temperature as your fixtures. An incandescent or krypton MiniMag works well for this, but be aware that color does not "scale" linearly. I bet Apollo has some notes about that somewhere on their website.;)

I have that built up pretty well with the majority of Rosco colors because I use them so much, I've even done that MiniMag trick before. I was thinking of making a little box that used some MR8 lamps that would allow me to use the gel from the swatchbooks, and thus being significantly less expensive than buying sheets or a "lab edition" swatchbook. It could have two lamps, each with a separate color slide, allowing me to mix and compare colors.

Might I suggest MR-11s?

My college T.D. who knew all the tricks of the ages and taught me all I know, was a huge fan of Chocolate. He loved to use it as the neutral in a three color wash (with R02/03 and R60). I use it some times and find it fine, I'm not hooked on it but it works fine for the right show. As others have described, I do like the sepia tone look on in some cases.

Why use it instead of a mix of R3407 and R97? Because I only have to buy one sheet of gel and you have to buy two.

So while sorting Gel I hit the treasure trove of chocolate... I don't know who, but someone had a sweet tooth, R99 has its own folder. I wonder if I'll try using it sometime...

Not strictly on topic, but it was stated previously that there is no such thing as "Grey light", but that is exactly what I need for an upcoming production (graveyard scene, and the gallows) I was thinking grey light (if it exists) and some gobos on the cyc, but after several searches, have found no references on CB. Suggestions?

Tom

Not strictly on topic, but it was stated previously that there is no such thing as "Grey light", but that is exactly what I need for an upcoming production (graveyard scene, and the gallows) I was thinking grey light (if it exists) and some gobos on the cyc, but after several searches, have found no references on CB. Suggestions?
Tom
Um, there is no such thing as grey light. Go out in a graveyard at night, and I will bet you anything that there is no grey light. Then go outside at night and tell us what color it is, because it isn't blue like people think it is.

Interesting facts: We perceive low light levels (assuming sources that don't amber shift, like the moon) as blue-ish on account of the fact that our eyes shift colors towards blue in low light.

What color is the moon? Why?
So what color is moonlight?

That's all.

...What color is the moon? Why?
So what color is moonlight?
Geez, Alex. I thought everyone knew that moonlit scenes are L183, including you. It's right there in the name. Methinks you may have a little too much L209, along with Charc.

Geez, Alex. I thought everyone knew that moonlit scenes are L183, including you. It's right there in the name. Methinks you may have a little too much L209, along with Charc.

Just prescribe L209 for grey light...:twisted:

(I'm assuming L209 is ND, I only have one LEE swatchbook, in my toolbag.)

L183?... Rosco conversion please?

Yummm… Chocolate!

I actually had a tech rider come through for an act way back when, that guy that sung that horse song, “Wildflower.” I think it was. Spec’d 16k front lighting only, all in chocolate. Was the most boring show I ever did and the only time I ever bought the color.

Now, about low light… Things seam grey to us in a graveyard at night because in low light the cones in our eyes shut down (they perceive color) leaving only the rods working, which means we see in black and white. Gets hard to “light” something and get this effect. The best way to produce this effect on stage would be a near monochromic light… Hey, LEDs! Anyway, once people’s eyes accommodated to the color, they would only be able to see shades of grey due to the narrow bandwidth.

I think Chocolate gel only sells because people imagine the taste ;)

Now, about low light… Things seam grey to us in a graveyard at night because in low light the cones in our eyes shut down (they perceive color) leaving only the rods working, which means we see in black and white. Gets hard to “light” something and get this effect. The best way to produce this effect on stage would be a near monochromic light… Hey, LEDs! Anyway, once people’s eyes accommodated to the color, they would only be able to see shades of grey due to the narrow bandwidth.

The problem with this, is its actually a music concert, not theatre, with a rather limited budget. This means that we wont be able to hire/buy LED's. I suppose we could turn all the lights off and leave the audience for about 5min to get them used to the dark :twisted:

...I actually had a tech rider come through for an act way back when, that guy that sung that horse song, “Wildflower.” I think it was. Spec’d 16k front lighting only, all in chocolate. Was the most boring show I ever did and the only time I ever bought the color...
JD, I believe you have Christopher Cross (that "between the moon and New York City" guy) confused with Michael Martin Murphey (a one-hit wonder with the horse song, Wildfire). Their voices are similar, but one had significantly more talent than the other. I can certainly see either wanting to perform in only white light, so as not to distract from the "message."

I believe you have Christopher Cross (that "between the moon and New York City" guy) confused with Michael Martin Murphey (a one-hit wonder with the horse song, Wildfire). Their voices are similar, but one had significantly more talent than the other.

This would be the less talented horse one! His entire 45 minute set sounded like the same song and I almost puked from the boredom. I now suffer from the problem that I associate chocolate with this experience!

He also did not want the stage lights (if you can truly call 16 pars that) to be set above 33%, in other words the show would have worked just as well if I had taken four par38’s from Home Depot!

The theater seated about 1100, of which 75 seats were filled… They did not request a follow spot, but I brought one just in case it was a mistake in communications. There was no mistake….

“The customer is always right.” Ahhhh… Right???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back