Choosing resume references

echnaret

I have a question about resume references. I recently interned at a local sound company, and I would like to add someone from said company onto my resume as a reference. However, I'm not sure what person I should choose. Is it better to use the person I worked for directly, or a higher up (someone who might be better known, but isn't as familiar with my work)?

Here's the scenario: it's a small company, with a few employees/owners who work year-round, and a couple that work full-time, but only during the summer months. As the company is small, the internships are a bit informal. The interns all reported to one of the summer employees, and most of my internship was spent working with the summer employees. However, I'm wondering if it would look better to have one of the owners on my resume.

Basically, my overall question is: is it better to list the person I worked with directly (and who knows my work best), or is it better to list someone with a more prominent position?

Thanks in advance.

You should list the person you actually worked for. The last thing you want is for a potential employer to call your reference and that person to say that they didn't really know you.

Whoever you choose as a reference, make sure that you clear it with them first. You should never list someone as a reference without their consent.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.734721,-111.866396

^what they said, plus given that its a small company the odds that the "better" known person is actually better known anywhere outside of where you are isn't very likely. Always go for the person you reported to/the person who will tell whoever calls them how awesome you are and how great a work ethic you have etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back